Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching audio output on apple music for windows

When ever I change the output device on windows from wired headphones to wired speakers apple music doesn't update the output device. This also applies to bluetooth devices as well. Is there anyway to fix it or change it manually?

Apple Music version: 1.4.4.41

Windows 11 Home version: 23H2

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 24, 2024 8:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 3:03 AM

With previous iTunes versions you had to change the default output device in the playback settings, from "Windows Audio Session" to "Direct Sound". With the new version there's no option for the default output device. So now I have no clue what we're supposed to do. The only option is to restart iTunes every time you change the output device.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2024 3:03 AM in response to warpedinfinity

With previous iTunes versions you had to change the default output device in the playback settings, from "Windows Audio Session" to "Direct Sound". With the new version there's no option for the default output device. So now I have no clue what we're supposed to do. The only option is to restart iTunes every time you change the output device.

Mar 24, 2024 10:42 PM in response to warpedinfinity

I found a fix! You have to open your task manager (hold down the ctrl+shift keys and press the esc key right above them. Or just go to the windows search menu and search for it) and right click on top of AMPLibraryAgent (should have the apple music logo next to it) and hit end task. Try changing your audio output and reopen it and it should work. Hopefully they'll find a more convenient fix soon

Mar 2, 2024 8:41 PM in response to warpedinfinity

Ok, I messed around a bit and found if you close the Music app, change the output, and then reopen it. The output will be same. This does mean you lose your queue and you have to refind your song but it seems to be the only way.

Wish there was a button or a script that checks to see if the output has changed every time a song is played or resumed, or if it just had an audio switcher within the app but it's Apple.

Switching audio output on apple music for windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.