📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro is completely dead after being fully charged.

At night, I unplugged my laptop from the power as it was fully charged at 100%. The next morning, I find that my laptop is completely dead, to the point where it won't even show the dead battery symbol. I can only turn it on once it is plugged back into a power source. When it turns back on, the battery is shown as 0%. It also seems as if the MacBook went through a complete system restart as it takes a few minutes to load, my webpages have closed, etc.

I have had several instances in the past where my laptop would randomly shut off/die at around 50% and once it is plugged into a power source, it turns back on. The difference here is that the laptop would be back at whatever battery percentage it was at when it shut off, and everything would seem to be back in the state it was in before. And these instances were few and far in between.

A few web searches suggest to turn off any programs running on my MacBook as they may have drained its battery overnight. However, I think that is most likely not the issue here because my laptop's battery has never drained overnight to the point where it dies. In fact, I have left programs running while my MacBook sleeps numerous times in the past-- almost everyday, really. And the battery never drains after ~80%.

Other web searches suggest to get a battery replacement. But my battery cycle count is at 462, which is still pretty low.

I have a 2019 13-inch MacBook Pro. I have had this issue for two days in a row.

Thank you in advance to anybody with any advice!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 9:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 9:35 AM

pennylordd wrote:

At night, I unplugged my laptop from the power as it was fully charged at 100%. The next morning, I find that my laptop is completely dead

Other web searches suggest to get a battery replacement. But my battery cycle count is at 462, which is still pretty low.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 8, 2024 9:35 AM in response to pennylordd

pennylordd wrote:

At night, I unplugged my laptop from the power as it was fully charged at 100%. The next morning, I find that my laptop is completely dead

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2024 10:23 AM in response to pennylordd

Not only is the problem not programs left open overnight, it's true that being 2019 your MacBook Pro may need a battery replacement, but it shouldn't be that bad of a situation.. the advice I would give is to reset the SMC as a first attempt and see if anything changes..

I found this guide online, try following it:

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Unplug the MagSafe or USB-C power plug from your computer.
  • Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold down these four keys for 10 seconds.
  • Release all the keys.
  • Reconnect the power supply.
  • Press the power button again to start your Mac.

Let us know if this reset was successful

greetings!

MacBook Pro is completely dead after being fully charged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.