Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated my iPhone 15 Pro to iOS 17.3.1 and now my touch screen does not work

Just updated to 17.3.1 on my iPhone 15 Pro and now my touch screen does not work. I cannot even do an emergency shutdown of my phone because I can’t slide the button on the screen. I’m traveling and I can’t get to my email nor my app to pull up the ticket. I mean, come on!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 1:02 PM

Same issue with me. I've had the iPhone 15 Pro for a few weeks with no issue. The touch screen stopped working on Saturday AM 2/10 (US time zone). I presume it ran the update overnight. It worked Friday evening 2/9.

I've tried the following but nothing has worked:

• Restarted multiple times using the `Vol up, Vol down, hold power button’ until Apple logo appears

• Connected to Mac laptop via USB-C. Restarted into “Restore” mode. Vol up, Vol down, hold power button until you see the restore logo.
    • Did a full OS restore using iCloud backup.
    • The touchscreen worked for a short period before having the issue again.

• Did another restore without iCloud backup. Basic default install.
    • The touchscreen worked initially but stopped after just a few minutes of setting up the phone.

I also removed my Drop Guys screen protector ($30) which I knew wasn't the issue but is listed as a generic solution everywhere. Of course it didn't work and it ruined my screen protector. Once dust gets on the sticky part, it's basically done.

I can't image it's the phone itself. This feels like a software bug. Not ruling out an actual physical phone issue but strange that multiple people are reporting the issue all of a sudden.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2024 1:02 PM in response to Mecole_1

Same issue with me. I've had the iPhone 15 Pro for a few weeks with no issue. The touch screen stopped working on Saturday AM 2/10 (US time zone). I presume it ran the update overnight. It worked Friday evening 2/9.

I've tried the following but nothing has worked:

• Restarted multiple times using the `Vol up, Vol down, hold power button’ until Apple logo appears

• Connected to Mac laptop via USB-C. Restarted into “Restore” mode. Vol up, Vol down, hold power button until you see the restore logo.
    • Did a full OS restore using iCloud backup.
    • The touchscreen worked for a short period before having the issue again.

• Did another restore without iCloud backup. Basic default install.
    • The touchscreen worked initially but stopped after just a few minutes of setting up the phone.

I also removed my Drop Guys screen protector ($30) which I knew wasn't the issue but is listed as a generic solution everywhere. Of course it didn't work and it ruined my screen protector. Once dust gets on the sticky part, it's basically done.

I can't image it's the phone itself. This feels like a software bug. Not ruling out an actual physical phone issue but strange that multiple people are reporting the issue all of a sudden.

Feb 9, 2024 11:05 AM in response to Mecole_1

The slide to power off is not an "emergency shut down" it's a normal power off. Instead, you need to try a forced restart. First take off any case. Then:

Press and very quickly release the volume up button. > Immediately press and very quickly release by the volume down button > Immediately press and hold down the side button and keep holding the side button until the Apple logo appears, release the side button. Restart an unresponsive iPhone - Apple Support

Feb 10, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Mecole_1

Same thing happened to me. Started the update process and after the Apple logo disappeared it came up with a white screen that had something similar to "swipe up to confirm update' The only problem was that it wouldn't let me swipe up.

Trying a forced restart several times which would also not work, it just kept coming back to the white screen.

The only way I could get it to work was by plugging it in to my MacBook and doing a forced restart that way. Even that took two tries as it produced an error message the first time.

All in all a right pain because it's a factory reset, so it then had to download all the apps etc from the iCloud. Not impressed. Im also using an iPhone 15 Pro

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 11, 2024 7:39 AM in response to Mecole_1

I tried to update my iPhone 15 today to 17.3.1. When I clicked on the update icon, it asked me to enter my passcode which I did. The software message stated that I entered the wrong passcode (the same passcode I’ve used for years and with which I’ve never previously had a problem). After entering the same passcode 3 more times, the phone locked. I took it to an Apple Store and the tech recommended that I erase the phone contents or I’d be unable to access the phone again. I did so, signed back in and updated the phone from the cloud. However, I no longer have cellular service and it does not appear possible to reactivate my phone number. Any suggestions? Also, this should be a warning to others intending to download the 17.3.1 update.

Feb 13, 2024 8:17 AM in response to Jsil52

Yeah, same here. I thought that maybe devices connected to the phone were causing issues. When I shut down my apple watch and restarted phone, it worked again. It worked for the whole day but problem came back again, so doesn't appear to be related. The issue has been intermittent for me.

I did see a strange message during one of my recent restarts. It's since gone away. "Unable to determine if your iPhone display is a genuine Apple part" About genuine iPhone displays - Apple Support

My phone is new and I haven't replaced the screen. It's odd that I would see a screen warning when the issue is related to the touchscreen.

Feb 16, 2024 7:02 AM in response to Mecole_1

UPDATE... After restarting many, many times, the "Unable to determine if your iPhone display is a genuine Apple part" alert was persistent. Prior to that, I only saw it one time and then it went away. Coincidentally, I didn't experience the touch screen issues for over a day, which was the longest I've observed. I don't know if having that message appear and the touch screen issue seeming to get better are related.

I ended up taking it to the Apple store. My phone is only a few weeks old. Given that I had that alert message, they were able to quickly move forward with a screen replacement, which I did. The phone is under warranty so the screen replacement was free. It was all very straight forward and the ultimate diagnosis was a bad screen from a manufacturer defect.

The Apple tech said that if I would have bought my phone from the Apple store, they could have just swapped the phone if that's what I desired b/c it was so new. I got a deal from my mobile carrier when I bought the phone so that wasn't an option. Just an FYI.

So in summary, I don't know if the touch screen freezing error is ultimately related to the 17.3.1. Maybe it is but it does seem like a hardware issue. New screen is working fine and the iOS alert has gone away.

Updated my iPhone 15 Pro to iOS 17.3.1 and now my touch screen does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.