Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

User switching doesn't work properly in macOS Sonoma

When I try to switch user it doesn't let me choose other user on login screen. When I click on the second user it momentarily switches back on the first user. Only if first user logs out second can log in. Touch ID just useless in this scenario.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.3

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 9:51 PM

I'm very glad your Mac is working well. But when I put cursor on my user yes, others show up, I'm clicking on the user I need but it doesn't change. It switches back to my user to enter password or Touch ID. I just can't enter other user without logging out from my user.

It isn't constant behavior. After restart it works normal. But eventually issue comes back.

It's new laptop, so I can't say if it's update problem or not, and I don't have enough track of record of this issue to find out any reason yet

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2024 9:51 PM in response to lkrupp

I'm very glad your Mac is working well. But when I put cursor on my user yes, others show up, I'm clicking on the user I need but it doesn't change. It switches back to my user to enter password or Touch ID. I just can't enter other user without logging out from my user.

It isn't constant behavior. After restart it works normal. But eventually issue comes back.

It's new laptop, so I can't say if it's update problem or not, and I don't have enough track of record of this issue to find out any reason yet

Feb 12, 2024 2:17 PM in response to IvanZhadan

Yes it does work properly. On switching users on the login screen you place the cursor on the avatar of the user and the rest of the users show up. Click on the user you want switch to and enter the password or touch-ID. I have six user accounts on my Mac and can login to any one of them just fine. As a matter of fact I can have up all six users logged in at the same time without issues.

If this is not what you are experiencing then you have an issue with your installation or a misunderstanding, not a Sonoma bug.

Two things to try to resolve.

1. Restart your Mac
  2. Restart your Mac in Safe Mode

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Safe mode performs a bunch of maintenance tasks, clears caches, and many times clears up glitches.

Feb 13, 2024 5:11 AM in response to IvanZhadan

"It isn't constant behavior. After restart it works normal. But eventually issue comes back."

So try restarting your Mac in Safe Mode as the link I provided instructs. If fast user switching works while in Safe Mode then restart normally and see if the issue returns. If it does then the possibility exists that some third party extension, plugin, etc. May be causing this. Safe Mode starts up with only Apple’s add ons and nothing else.

Mar 28, 2024 9:25 AM in response to SlowGraham

This just began happening to me this morning. I have two users logged in to the computer, both admins. I cannot reboot the computer to resolve the issue because the other user is away for the day and has work that would need to be saved first. When I choose the Fast User Switching in the Menu Bar (or name, I've tried all the options), the other user is greyed out. If I lock the screen, the main login window appears. If I hit Escape, both users appear. But when choosing the other user not currently logged in, it quickly goes back to the username currently logged in. This is new and is not something caused by third-party software as this problem began overnight.

Feb 12, 2024 2:31 PM in response to IvanZhadan

1. Check User Permissions: Ensure that the user accounts on your MacBook Air have the necessary permissions to switch users. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and verify the settings for each user account.

2. Restart Your MacBook Air: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary glitches. Restart your MacBook Air and see if the issue persists.

3. Verify Fast User Switching: Confirm that Fast User Switching is enabled. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and make sure that Fast User Switching is turned on.

4. Reset SMC and NVRAM: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and the Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM) on your MacBook Air might help resolve this issue. Instructions on how to do this can be found on Apple's support page.

5. Update macOS: Check if there are any available macOS updates. Updating to the latest version can often resolve software-related issues and bugs.

6. Check for Third-Party Software: If you have any third-party software installed that might be interfering with user switching, try disabling or uninstalling them to see if the issue persists.

7. Test without Touch ID: To troubleshoot the Touch ID issue, try logging in without using Touch ID to see if user switching works as expected.

8. Contact Apple Support: If the problem continues, it's recommended to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your MacBook Air model and the macOS version you're using.

Feb 13, 2024 1:14 AM in response to 0Wishtobefree0

0Wishtobefree0 wrote:

4. Reset SMC and NVRAM: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and the Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM) on your MacBook Air might help resolve this issue. Instructions on how to do this can be found on Apple's support page.

8. Contact Apple Support: If the problem continues, it's recommended to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your MacBook Air model and the macOS version you're using.

Point 4 above

Should the computer be Apple Silicon then what ?

Point 8 above

Should OP require direct contact to Apple for support. Any suggestions for links or phones number ?

Apr 29, 2024 11:20 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks for your incredibly insightful and helpful comment. If you’ve got nothing useful to add to this discussion, or suggestions on how to work around the issue please refrain from posting.

just because it works on your particular hardware/firmware/software configuration doesn’t mean there isn’t a bug with mine.

I assure you “no user education” is required. Apologies for feeding the troll.

Apr 29, 2024 4:36 PM in response to Willstar77

Willstar77 wrote:

This is absolutely a bug. It’s consistent now that it’s a problem, and it occurred without any additional software being installed or settings changed. I expect not many people have reported it because most users probably only use a single user account.

M2 MacBook Pro, Sonoma 14.2.1

M1 Studio Max, Sonoma 14.4.1 with six user accounts. No issue at all. Not a bug. User education needed.

User switching doesn't work properly in macOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.