Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Universal Control frequently disconnects between M2 Mac Mini and M1 MacBook Pro

I have an M2 Mac Mini connected to an Apple 27" Studio Display and next to it (24") there is an M1 MacBook Pro 13" connected to an LG HDR 4K display. Both of the Macs are running MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1 at the time of this posting.

I am using an Apple wireless pro Magic Keyboard and a gen 2 Apple Magic wireless trackpad with Universal Control to operate both computers. This is especially helpful because it's difficult to reach the keyboard/mouse on the MacBook Pro while it is connected to my external monitor.

Ever since setting this up almost a year ago I have frequent (sometimes 20+ times a day) disconnects of Universal Control between the two computers. Occasionally (maybe 5% of the time) this is also accompanied by the Apple trackpad completely no longer responding. When this happens the mouse/cursor will jump back to the Mac Mini (primary) and no longer push through to the MacBook. After anywhere from 10-90 seconds it will automatically become reconnected and begin working normally again... for some period of time anyway.

Other times I've made it through a full day of working with only one or two disconnects.

Things I've tried to resolve the problem:

1. Reboot and reset NVRAM on both computers.
  2. Running the keyboard and mouse with wired USB connections to the Mac instead of using them wirelessly.
  3. Eliminate possible sources of interference by disconnecting nearby devices, powering them off, etc.
  4. Set "reconnect automatically" under Settings->Displays->Advanced
  5. Disabling Firewall on both computers.

I'm really out of ideas at this point.

What more can be done to troubleshoot this problem?

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 3:22 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 19, 2024 8:31 AM in response to jmpage2

The feature seems to require WiFi to be turned on and in use depite the fact that my primary network is 2.5GB wired ethernet.

I seem to be able to resolve the issue by turning Wifi off, then back on again. Then turning "Allow your pointer and keyboard..." off in Displays->Advanced (hit "done") then turning it back on again (hit "done").

I don't know why it drops. My WiFi is solid, it doesn't drop. Both macs are just a few feet from the wireless router.

Anyway, I don't see why WiFi/Bluetooth is required.

Feb 23, 2024 10:21 AM in response to jmpage2

Another data point... I replaced the Apple Magic Trackpad with another one I have and it has the same behavior.

I kind of sort of suspect at this point that there is a problem with the BT radio in either the Mac Mini or the MacBook Pro but I have no way to further validate this or prove it.

Other than the monitors I am using I have eliminated all other sources of BT interference by moving devices away, powering things off, etc.

This problem is really annoying and Apple should provide some actual insight since this feature is quite important to those of us who rely on it.

Mar 6, 2024 12:22 PM in response to jmpage2

I have the exact same problem with almost the exact same setup ( I don't have the studio display). I have an M2 Mini as the main with an M2 MacBook Pro 13 as the side, and the Mini is connected to an LG HDR 4K display, both running Sonoma 14.3.1.

Universal Control was disconnecting 20+ times a day until I changed my whole WiFI setup from a TP-Link AC1750 to a Decco XE75; now, it disconnects maybe twice a day. The Magic mouse disconnects once or twice every two days, and the Magic keyboard works fine.

It worked perfectly on Ventura...

Mar 6, 2024 1:22 PM in response to kekox

Yeah, changing my WiFi setup out is not an option as it's a very expensive (multiple thousands of dollars) enterprise grade mesh and I'm not going to toss it because Universal Control doesn't work.

All of my devices on the WiFi (over 80) are working fine.

Guess I'll just have to buy a completely separate keyboard and mouse for the other setup.

It's pretty lame that Apple provides no tools for debugging this.

Mar 26, 2024 12:04 PM in response to jmpage2

I have exactly the same issue. I have a usb keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. The mouse is connected fine. The Wifi is solid. The UC connection is fine...until it isn't. Sometimes it comes back in a minute or so, but frequently it will not come back at all unless I reset.

This is a software issue. Apple, please fix this. This is a major annoyance.

Universal Control frequently disconnects between M2 Mac Mini and M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.