You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility has stopped working on Sonoma 14.3.1

I recently bought a 2GB external SSD to help me with moving my files from my old MacBook Pro from late 2011 to my newly purchased MacBook Pro with an M3 chip, because the MIGRATION ASSISTANT was not functioning as it should.

Moving MY files using the SSD worked just fine. No issues on either laptop, no issue with the SSD.

Now, after installing the latest system update on to my new MB Pro, which was supposed to fix things (the crazy text overwriting issue, amongst others), it has stopped showing my external SSD drive in Finder.

When I go to Disk Utility to check things out, I get nothing but a blank screen. None of my drives show, internal OR external.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone come across a solution? I would like to use this SSD as a backup hard drive, but it's useless to me as long as Apple continues to put out updates which seem to make things worse, rather than better.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 1:01 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 23, 2024 5:56 AM in response to satosi

satosi wrote:

I recently bought a 2GB external SSD to help me with moving my files from my old MacBook Pro from late 2011 to my newly purchased MacBook Pro with an M3 chip, because the MIGRATION ASSISTANT was not functioning as it should.

Moving MY files using the SSD worked just fine. No issues on either laptop, no issue with the SSD.

Now, after installing the latest system update on to my new MB Pro, which was supposed to fix things (the crazy text overwriting issue, amongst others), it has stopped showing my external SSD drive in Finder.

When I go to Disk Utility to check things out, I get nothing but a blank screen. None of my drives show, internal OR external.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone come across a solution? I would like to use this SSD as a backup hard drive, but it's useless to me as long as Apple continues to put out updates which seem to make things worse, rather than better.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Feb 24, 2024 3:40 PM in response to leroydouglas

Since buying this laptop, I have spent more time on the phone with Apple Care - who were not terribly helpful - than I ever have in all of my time owning Macs due to all of the issues which keep rearing their ugly head. At this point, I am hoping to find a solution which I can implement myself.

Turned out, after about an hour, suddenly my SSD was showing in Finder. Disk utility also suddenly began showing all of my drives, both internal & external.

Disk Utility has stopped working on Sonoma 14.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.