Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to locate lost AirPods

So I’ve lost one of my AirPods and the tracking on them doesn’t work. I know one has been handed in at my local gym but I’m not sure where I lost mine. Is there a way to check if the AirPod at the gym is mine? (I’ve replaced both AirPods so they are not the original ones that came with the case)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 11:33 AM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2024 11:37 AM in response to Ben_beck

If you lost one of your airpods, you may find this article helpful.

1. On your iPhone, open Find My.
  2. In Devices, choose your AirPods. If your AirPods are out of the case, you might have to pick the left bud or right bud. With AirPods Pro (2nd generation) or later, you can also pick the case.

3. Find your AirPods on the map.
    • If they aren't near you, tap Get Directions to open their location in Maps.
    • If you're nearby, tap Play Sound and listen for the series of beeps.
    • Depending on your AirPods and iPhone, you might also see an option to Find Nearby. Tap it, wait for your AirPods to connect to your iPhone, then follow the prompts to find your AirPods.

Your iPhone might take longer than expected to connect to your AirPods to play a sound or find nearby.

If you don't have an iPhone or other Apple device to use Find My, you can also find your AirPods at iCloud.com/find — but the experience might be different and some functionality might not be available.

If your AirPods are "Offline" or show "No location found"

• If your AirPods are out of range or need to charge, you might see their last known location. You might also see "Offline" or "No location found."
  • You might be able to get directions to their last known location — but you won't be able to play a sound or use Find Nearby.
  • If they come back online, you get a notification on your iPhone (or other Apple device that you use them with).

If you can't find your AirPods

1. In Find My, choose your AirPods and swipe up.
  2. Under Mark as Lost, tap Activate.
  3. Follow the onscreen steps to display your contact information to someone who finds your AirPods.
  4. Select Activate.

Be ready next time with the Find My network and Notify When Left Behind

Want to help make sure that you find your AirPods next time?

• The Find My network is an encrypted, anonymous network of hundreds of millions of Apple devices that can help you find your AirPods, even if they're offline. Nearby devices securely send the location of your missing AirPods to iCloud, so that you can find where they are. It's all anonymous and encrypted to protect everyone's privacy. To make sure it's turned on: On iPhone, open Settings > Bluetooth. Tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods, then scroll down to Find My network and make sure that it's turned on.
  • With Notify When Left Behind, your iPhone or Apple Watch can alert you when you leave your supported AirPods at an unknown location.

Learn more about the Find My network and your AirPods

Turn on Notify When Left Behind to get notifications if you leave your AirPods behind

Find your lost AirPods with Find My - Apple Support

Feb 25, 2024 11:39 AM in response to Michael_Meng

You may also buy a replacement for your AirPods, if you lost it. This may also be found helpful.

Locate AirPods in Find My

You can use Find My on your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Mac to help you locate your AirPods if they’re lost. You can also find your AirPods on the web at iCloud.com/find.

Intro to using Find My with AirPods

• You can use Find My with all AirPods models, but some models may have additional features to help you find them. If you’re not sure which AirPods you have, see Which AirPods do I have?
  • To locate your AirPods, you must turn on Find My on a paired device (such as your iPhone or Mac) before they’re lost.
  • For the best experience with Find My, make sure your paired device has the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, or macOS installed.
  • You can turn on the Find My network to see the location of some AirPods models even when they’re out of range from your device. If the Find My network is turned off (or if your AirPods don’t support the Find My network), the Find My app shows the last time and place they were connected. See Turn on the Find My network.
  • If your AirPods are out of range or need to charge, you might see their last known location, “No location found,” or “Offline” in Find My. If they come back online, you get a notification on devices you paired with them.

See the location of your AirPods on a map

You can see the current or last known location of your AirPods in the Find My app.

• On iPhone or iPad: Open the Find My app , tap Devices, then tap your AirPods.
  • On Apple Watch: Open the Find Devices app , then tap your AirPods (requires a Wi-Fi or cellular connection).
  • On Mac: Open the Find My app , click Devices, then select your AirPods.
  • On iCloud.com: Go to iCloud.com/find, sign in with your Apple ID, select All Devices, then select your AirPods.

For most AirPods models, when your AirPods are separated, you see the location of only one at a time. To find them both, first locate the one that you see on the map, put it back in its case, then refresh the map to locate the other one.

If you have AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you see the location of each of your AirPods and the charging case on the map.

Play a sound on your AirPods

You can play a sound on your AirPods to help you locate them if they’re out of their case. If you have AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you can also play a sound on the charging case.

• On iPhone or iPad: Open the Find My app , tap Devices, tap the name of your AirPods, then tap Play Sound.
  • On Apple Watch: Open the Find Devices app , choose your AirPods, then tap Play Sound (requires a Wi-Fi or cellular connection).
  • On Mac: Open the Find My app , click Devices, select your AirPods, click , then click Play Sound.
  • On iCloud.com: Go to iCloud.com/find, sign in with your Apple ID, select All Devices, select your AirPods, then click Play Sound.

Your AirPods play a sound for a few minutes to help you locate them, or until you stop the sound. If your AirPods aren’t connected to your device and you don’t have the Find My Network turned on, the sound plays the next time they connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.

Tip: If your AirPods are separated from each other, you can mute one to make it easier to find them one at a time. While the sound plays on your AirPods, tap or click Left or Right.

Find your AirPods nearby

If your AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro (all generations), or AirPods Max are somewhere close by, like in another room in your house, your iPhone or iPad can help guide you to their location. If you have AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you can find the precise location of each of your AirPods and the charging case.

1. Open the Find My app  on an iPhone or iPad that you previously paired with your AirPods.
  2. Tap Devices, tap the name of your AirPods, then tap Find.
  3. Start moving around to locate your AirPods and follow the onscreen instructions.
  4. If you have AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you may see an arrow pointing in the direction of your AirPods, an approximate distance telling you how far away they are, and a message saying if they’re located on a different floor.
  5. You can also play a sound on your AirPods to help you find them nearby. You may have an option to turn on the flashlight, which can help you find your AirPods in a dark environment.

To start a case you replace your airpods, go to:

AirPods Repair & Service - Apple Support

Feb 25, 2024 11:54 AM in response to Ben_beck

If your AirPods aren't charged, they won't be found until they're recharged. If they're out of range of your iOS device, they won't appear. If you see the No Location Found message, you can't play a sound to find your AirPods, but you might be able to get directions to the location where they were last connected…

You won’t get an important message about you being paired to another persons AirPod, but it will recognize that it is not the same model / same SN. You can mark your current AirPods lost and see if anyone can help you.

How to locate lost AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.