You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When attempting to install MacOS on a MacPro (2013) I get an error message

When attempting to install a Bootable copy on a flash drive of MacOS El Capitan once in put in my password in the terminal command it displays an error that "installelcapitan.app is not found".

What am I doing wrong?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 11:58 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2024 4:17 PM in response to Barnettpower

<< the error "installelcapitan.app is not found". >> is because you did not automatically place the "Install MacOS ... .app in the /Applications folder, where it is required to be for the commands to work.

You MUST complete every step of the instructions here, especially step 3 which PLACES 'Install macOS....app' in the expected location:

1. Use these links to download a macOS disk image (.dmg) file. If these links don't work as expected, try again using Safari, which is in your Applications folder.
  2. Double-click the .dmg file to open it and see the package (.pkg) file within.
  3. Double-click the .pkg file, then follow the onscreen instructions to install the macOS installer into your Applications folder.
  4. Open your Applications folder and double-click the macOS installer, named Install [Version Name]. Follow the onscreen installation instructions.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

section entitled: "use a web browser... "

When attempting to install MacOS on a MacPro (2013) I get an error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.