Apple TV 4K hold to dictate not working inside YouTube app and others

Using the hold to dictate used to work in YouTube searches. At some point they broke this out so that you have to be in the search page to search and that's fine. Now even though I'm on the search page and I hold the button to dictate, it constantly jumps in and out of searching as you are talking. And once I finished my phrase it deletes everything when I let go of the button. Just tapping the button doesn't work. You have to hold it down while you're talking but whenever I let go it just deletes everything I said and doesn't search. You can mess around with it and say stuff really fast and sometimes it'll actually get the search done but 99% of the time it just deletes what you said and doesn't do the search when you let go of the button. Very frustrating.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 6:44 PM

The same has been happening to me too. It also happens with the keyboard input that pops up on my iPhone.

6 replies

Mar 3, 2024 10:07 AM in response to Tanquen2

I can’t replicate your experience.

Update your Apple TV system software to the current version, if not done already. How to update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Try this for any misbehaving app:

1. Force-quit the app, then relaunch and try again.
  2. If the issue persists, force-quit the app, restart the device, then relaunch and try again.
  3. If the issue still persists, delete the app, re-download and try again.
  4. If the issue still persists, then contact the app developer for further assistance.

Apr 19, 2024 7:17 PM in response to Tanquen2

In the youtube app i have this same problem. When the cursor is on a letter, for instance the letter A which is the default, it clears the dictated text as soon as i let go of the button. However when i move the cursor to space, SPC, it does not clear the text and does the search for the dictated text properly. My solution is to move the cursor to SPC before dictating a search term and it works.

Mar 3, 2024 10:17 AM in response to Urquhart1244

It's been an issue for the last few versions. If I keep holding the button down, sometimes what I've said stays on the screen along with the found selections. But once I let go everything I've said and the found selections go away.

I only have like five apps and they're all streaming apps. I'm not sure what are those apps are going to break the hole to dictate function.

Apple TV 4K hold to dictate not working inside YouTube app and others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.