Siri all of a sudden asking if I want to use Phone app, instead of just calling

All of a sudden when I say "Hey Siri, call X" to my Iphone 14pro (iOS 17.3.1) it now asks if I want to use the Phone app to call. Always before it just dialed the number for X. Why has this additional step appeared, and how do I get rid of it?

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2024 11:59 AM

this has been driving me crazy and I finally figured out how to stop it…when it asks you if you want to use phone app, hit the other option instead and it will show which other apps it thinks you will use…mine had zoom and teams apps. So go to settings and go to Siri and search now go down to one of those apps to tap on it and scroll down and turn off “use to ask Siri” repeat for all it suggested

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2024 11:59 AM in response to Lizka_2

this has been driving me crazy and I finally figured out how to stop it…when it asks you if you want to use phone app, hit the other option instead and it will show which other apps it thinks you will use…mine had zoom and teams apps. So go to settings and go to Siri and search now go down to one of those apps to tap on it and scroll down and turn off “use to ask Siri” repeat for all it suggested

Apr 5, 2024 5:17 AM in response to mmessina13

Glad that this worked for you, but all of the apps it is suggesting to me already have the "use to ask siri" option turned off. I've resorted to deleting the apps that siri suddenly thinks i want to send a text through, even though, in the years i've been using siri, i've never ONCE texted from anything other than the messaging app.

This is a new "feature" that has started just this week for me. I use siri voice to text over 100 times a day, majority of time it is while i am in my car.

May 5, 2024 7:59 AM in response to Valarn

I am in the same boat - I have even turned “suggest app” BACK ON and then turned off again to see if it would retake. It didn’t work @APPLESUPPORT…. This is definitely a bug, not a feature.

What did seem to work though was, after doing the above, I rebooted my phone and tried using Siri to send a text.

She stopped asking me which app to use and just sen the text with my message as she used to.

FWIW: I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.4.1

May 26, 2024 7:47 PM in response to Lizka_2

Yes someone in the Siri division has dropped the ball and can’t find it. Many tasks that used to be one simple are now multiple steps. I ask “Siri lights” and it use to turn the light on, now it asks “should I turn it on or off”. In what logical world does that question even make sense. I want the opposite of whatever it is Siri.

Siri all of a sudden asking if I want to use Phone app, instead of just calling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.