Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

is there an update for image capture app on imac sonoma. Won't scan on hp envy 6458e

Can't get image capture app on imac 21.5/sonoma 14.2.1 to scan document on hp Envy 6458e scan plate

iMac 27″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 4:59 PM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2024 10:53 AM in response to Peter Mintun

Peter Mintun wrote:

Me, too. Before upgrading to Sonoma, Image Capture had an option for very high resoltuon (2400?). Now it only goes as high as 600.

Image Capture is part of the system so what you have is the latest version.

If all else fails give VueScan a try. There is a demo version available that puts a watermark on the scan but works fully otherwise. I use it for my scanners and it provides the maximum scanning dpi that the unit offers.

Mar 4, 2024 5:07 PM in response to Donjay

That HP ENVY 6458e All-in-One Printer multi-function printer supports AirPrint, which can provide printing and variously also scanning capabilities. The tech specs don’t list TWAIN support for scanning, which means Image Capture won’t necessarily work without added help.

To start with… Is firmware version 001.2323A from Jul 17, 2023 loaded into that printer? If not, go load that.

If you have current firmware loaded, and have also installed and are having issues printing and scanning with the HP provided drivers, remove those drivers and switch to accessing this device using AirPrint, and see if that works better.

Mar 5, 2024 1:40 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

If all else fails try the demo version of VueScan . It works with nearly every scanner and model you can think of. I prefer it over the apps that came with my scanners.

For a given scanner model, Hamrick will state whether the scanner requires a vendor driver *before* VueScan supports it, or it is supported without any vendor drivers or software. "Every scanner" bears that caveat, and it is important to check the VueScan statement for macOS.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/aaffcd04-38ff-445a-86c6-3e056c7934ba

Mar 5, 2024 12:53 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your interest and reply. I had occasionally had a problem using Image Capture when the scan feature on the printer was grayed out with the notation "no camera found" and so wouldn't perform a scan. I would close that screen and try the image capture button again, maybe several times until the scanner responded and worked. Couple of days ago, even when hitting IC button several times, I couldn't "ungray" the scan command on the printer window. I have the HP smart app installed and using the scan command there, scanner works fine.

The Image Capture feature is just a little faster to use. The only reason I asked about an upgrade was because I thought maybe I had missed it in my frustration. BTW I have tweaked some scan buttons on my iMac and IC seems to be working correctly again.

is there an update for image capture app on imac sonoma. Won't scan on hp envy 6458e

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.