Update 17.4 Issue with External Monitor

Update to IOS 17.4 this morning and now my external monitor only works in mirror mode. The iPad recognizes the external monitor but the toggle switch for the mirror mode does not work. Remains in mirror mode. Thoughts?

iPad Pro

Posted on Mar 6, 2024 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2024 10:17 AM

Having tested a fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9" updated to iPadOS 17.4, I can confirm that Stage Manager/Screen Mirroring with a connected external display is not operating as expected.

While the iPad screen will successfully mirror its screen to the external HDMI display, full screen (Stage Manager) is not enabled as expected when disabling Mirroring from the screen Arrangement settings.

I have verified this behaviour with both an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - and a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub - both connected via HDMI to a compatible external monitor.

Repeating this test with an identical model iPad Pro, instead running iPadOS 17.3.1, the external HDMI display operates is full screen with Stage Manager as expected. Mirroring can be enabled/disabled with anticipated behaviour.

If you have not already done so, you would be best advised to submit a Bug Report via Apple's Product Feedback portal.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

When submitting a Bug Report, ensure that you include details of your iPad model and installed version of iPadOS within the body-text of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the current versions. Having verified the bug, I too have submitted a supporting Bug Report to Apple.

Every report counts - as until sufficient reports are submitted, Apple may not assign resources to investigate and resolve the issue. When submitting a report, you would be well advised to be both constructive and non confrontational; those reading/analysing your report are human and will do their best to escalate the problem to the appropriate team(s) for action.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2024 10:17 AM in response to jhatterschide

Having tested a fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9" updated to iPadOS 17.4, I can confirm that Stage Manager/Screen Mirroring with a connected external display is not operating as expected.

While the iPad screen will successfully mirror its screen to the external HDMI display, full screen (Stage Manager) is not enabled as expected when disabling Mirroring from the screen Arrangement settings.

I have verified this behaviour with both an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - and a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub - both connected via HDMI to a compatible external monitor.

Repeating this test with an identical model iPad Pro, instead running iPadOS 17.3.1, the external HDMI display operates is full screen with Stage Manager as expected. Mirroring can be enabled/disabled with anticipated behaviour.

If you have not already done so, you would be best advised to submit a Bug Report via Apple's Product Feedback portal.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

When submitting a Bug Report, ensure that you include details of your iPad model and installed version of iPadOS within the body-text of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the current versions. Having verified the bug, I too have submitted a supporting Bug Report to Apple.

Every report counts - as until sufficient reports are submitted, Apple may not assign resources to investigate and resolve the issue. When submitting a report, you would be well advised to be both constructive and non confrontational; those reading/analysing your report are human and will do their best to escalate the problem to the appropriate team(s) for action.

Mar 7, 2024 7:25 AM in response to jhatterschide

jhatterschide wrote:

I’m still having the external monitor problem with my iPad 11” 3rd generation. The toggle switch doesn’t do a thing. Worked fine before the upgrade to 17.4.

Have you submitted the bug report as previously recommended? I can't stress this enough - every report counts.

Until sufficient reports are submitted, Apple may not assign resources to investigate and resolve the issue.

If you have not already done so, you can submit a Bug Report via Apple's Product Feedback portal.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

When submitting a Bug Report, ensure that you include details of your iPad model and installed version of iPadOS within the body-text of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the current versions.

Mar 29, 2024 8:14 PM in response to jhatterschide

I’ve never had any issues with connecting my iPad to the TV via HDMI until updating to iPadOS 17. Now, it doesn’t even give me the option to change the arrangement of the display hence it staying in Mirror mode the entire time. Has there been any updates to this, please? I have an iPad Pro 11, 3rd gen on iPadOS 17.4.1.

Anything I’ve missed here? Thanks!

Update 17.4 Issue with External Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.