After Sonoma 14.4 update USB hub not working on MacBook

I have my MacBook (MacBook Pro 16 M2 Pro) connected to my monitor (Gigabyte M34WQ 34 Inch IPS Ultrawide WQHD (3440 x 1440)) via a thunderbolt 3 cable.

I have my keyboard and mouse connected to the USB ports in my monitor.

After updating, my keyboard and mouse are no longer being detected on my MacBook.

Before updating, it was working fine.

I can't find anything online about this issue

Can anyone help?

thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 12:06 AM

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro M2 Max 64GB RAM and monitor Dell U3219Q; none of the USB peripherals connected to the Monitor's USB hub work.

On the contrary, all peripherals work fine when I attach a Windows computer to the Dell Monitor. In addition, I check every USB peripheral by attaching them directly to the Mac, and of course, they are working.

I rebooted the Mac and detached the power plug from the Monitor, trying any configurations or sequences of rebooting as possible. Nothing is working since the update to Sonoma 14.4

Please, Apple, jump in and fix this issue soon.

99 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2024 12:06 AM in response to snowwwwwyx

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro M2 Max 64GB RAM and monitor Dell U3219Q; none of the USB peripherals connected to the Monitor's USB hub work.

On the contrary, all peripherals work fine when I attach a Windows computer to the Dell Monitor. In addition, I check every USB peripheral by attaching them directly to the Mac, and of course, they are working.

I rebooted the Mac and detached the power plug from the Monitor, trying any configurations or sequences of rebooting as possible. Nothing is working since the update to Sonoma 14.4

Please, Apple, jump in and fix this issue soon.

Mar 8, 2024 8:16 PM in response to snowwwwwyx

I had the same issue with an LG monitor connected by USB3 -- the mouse plugged into the USB hub on the monitor didn't work after the 14.4 upgrade.

Rebooting, reconnecting wires, etc, didn't help.

However, this worked:

1. System Settings->Privacy&Security->Allow accessories to connect->Ask every time
  2. Turn off monitor (at the wall is best) and disconnect it
  3. Reboot
  4. Reconnect the monitor then turn it on.

At this point I got a popup asking if I agreed to the assessory and I answered yes. Since then the mouse works fine. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Mar 14, 2024 11:08 AM in response to MacGenius360

Folks are pointing out that the issue started with Sonoma 14.4. In aggregate they are pointing out that it happens with various devices attached via usb to an external hub attached by usbc to the Mac (this issue is not specific to a particular external hub, or a particular brand but specific to Mac running Sonoma 14.4). They are also pointing out that the same issue, with exactly the same hardware cannot be reproduced when using pre Sonoma 14.4 OS (so we are not dealing with malfunctioning external hubs).

The issue happens when Mac comes out of sleep or when the hub is disconnected and then connected back. The only way to fix it is make the hub do a hard reboot (disconnect from Mac, disconnect from power completely). All of this is more pronounced in hubs that are built into the monitored or attached to their own power supply as the "fix" requires going and plugging the power cable out of the monitor or hub.

Mar 8, 2024 6:38 AM in response to snowwwwwyx

Start by disconnecting and reconnecting the Thunderbolt 3 cable that connects your MacBook to your monitor. Sometimes, simply re-establishing the connection can help resolve connectivity issues.

Next, try restarting both your MacBook and your monitor. Restarting can sometimes clear out any temporary software glitches that may be causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, check the System Information on your MacBook to see if it detects the USB hub on your monitor. You can do this by going to the Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report. Under the Hardware section, click on USB. If your monitor's USB hub is listed here, it means that your MacBook recognizes it, and the issue may be with the peripherals themselves or their connections.

If your monitor's USB hub isn't listed in the System Information, there may be an issue with the Thunderbolt connection or the monitor itself. In this case, try connecting your peripherals directly to your MacBook's USB ports to see if they work. If they do, the issue likely lies with the USB hub on your monitor.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that the macOS update may have introduced a compatibility issue with your monitor's USB hub. In that case, you may need to reach out to Official Apple Support for further assistance or consider contacting the manufacturer of your monitor for any available updates or troubleshooting steps specific to your model.

Mar 11, 2024 8:37 AM in response to snowwwwwyx

Interesting discovery here after doing some testing.

Basically same issue for me, except I have three LG monitors connected via TB3 cable directly to the MacBook Pro 14" M2 Max. It seems in my case, whichever monitor I connect first will get its USB hub recognized and connected, while the subsequent two will simply not have their USB hubs detected.

It's as if only a single external USB hub can be connected to the MacBook, and once that's been connected, no additional ones will be accepted.

I guess I'll be opening a support ticket for this...

Mar 13, 2024 2:24 AM in response to snowwwwwyx

I got Sonoma to prompt the "Allow accessories to connect" by

1. open the laptop lid
  2. disconnect the display usb-c cable
  3. change the "Allow accessories to connect" setting to "always ask"
  4. logout the user
  5. log back in
  6. reconnect the display usb-c cable
  7. now Sonoma should prompt for the permission

I also noticed, that if I then close the laptop lid, disconnect the cable and plug it back in, Sonoma forgets the setting and the USB hub stops working again.

After Sonoma 14.4 update USB hub not working on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.