iPhone 11 Pro stuck in a boot loop after iOS 17.4 update

iPhone 11 pro user here!

Last night, my phone prompted me to update to the latest iOS 17.4. What should have been a fairly simple process absolutely ruined my evening.

My phone told me halfway through the update that I needed to connect it to a computer to finish updating. No big deal, but it continued to crash mid way during the forced update. I was on with Apple support during the duration of this process, and they advised me to restore it as a last resort. Which I did, and it STILL would not follow through with finishing the update.

Now, all my phone does is flash the Apple symbol on & off.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

The consensus from the Apple Support team was that something internal was wrong with my phone, and I needed to send it in for repair. This update literally malfunctioned mid-update and has disrupted something internally for my phone to no longer work.

Has this happened to anyone else?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 3:36 AM

Exactly the same thing happened to me! After speaking with customer support, I took the devise into Apple and went through the same process with the same outcome. My iphone 11 pro was perfectly fine before the update. Has anyone had a response from Apple?

24 replies

Mar 13, 2024 3:33 AM in response to claudinefromcc

Apple should replace or repair your phones, does anybody know how to make that happen?

I have an iPhone 11 promax I need to update, but what if I run into the same problem? then I’m out a phone….. an expensive phone when it came out too! every 2 to 3 years I get a new phone like clockwork. Apple has gotten plenty of money from me & my family, as my husband and all three of my kids have iPhones and/or iPad and AirPods….

I would expect Apple to make it right

Apr 7, 2024 5:02 PM in response to hayleaMorgan

Was anyone able to get a constructive response from Apple about this? My 11 pro did this, it was apparently an auto update so I didn’t prompt it to update and it did not give me a heads up, and now it’s stuck in a reboot cycle, and I can’t force the update or restore my phone. I didn’t have a recent back up so I’m loosing a lot of data as well. The local Apple certified repair place said they’re seeing the same thing in a lot of older iPhone models and there’s nothing they can do. There’s no reason a phone less than 4 years old should do this and a little bitter about losing my data since it wasn’t my own doing. If I end up needing a new phone from this I’m not getting an iPhone…

Mar 13, 2024 3:03 PM in response to JayLTee

If it's hot it's likely still rebuilding its internal databases, which occurs for the first 24-48 hours after doing any iOS upgrade.

If your phone is repeatedly crashing, it likely has a hardware issue that has been revealed, not caused, by the new iOS.

Make an appointment here:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

or contact Apple Support directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Mar 13, 2024 1:08 PM in response to hayleaMorgan

I updated to iOS 17.4 2 days ago and my iPhone 11 is hot and just started saying I have no more storage. Nothing was wrong before this update and my storage was fine. When trying to determine what's taking up storage, my phone crashed twice. I assumed it was podcast downloads from Apple's app which then crashed every time I tried to open it. Now I can't see certain apps if they are bundled on my home screen. After restarting, my storage shows I'm using 85GB of 128 GB. And I am still seeing issues and the phone is hot.

iPhone 11 Pro stuck in a boot loop after iOS 17.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.