MacBook for college student

Hello, My daughter is heading to college this fall, and we’re looking to get her a MacBook that suits her needs. She’ll need it for general coursework. Could you recommend which MacBook model would be the best fit?

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 7:08 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2024 8:29 AM in response to SemiHernandez

I'd say that a first year college student, who may not yet know what they plan in majoring in, could probably use pretty much anything in Apple's line up. The limiting factor is going to be your budget. In the past, Apple has done "Back-to-School" promos later in the year that include a gift card or accessory (e.g. AirPods). Usually this is available through the Education website which also usually has discounts on the computer.

Education Pricing and Student Discounts - Education - Apple

Another option is the Apple Refurbished site. I've bought many of my Macs from there. It's a great resource.

Certified Refurbished Products - Apple

If your child later decides to major in something that requires specialized software or other equipment, you may need to look at replacing the computer in a couple of years. Or, they may become a French Lit major and a MacBook Air might see them into grad school.

MacBook for college student

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.