iCloud backup from old phone showing on new phone

I currently have 200GB of iCloud storage shared for me and 3 other family members. I'm getting close to the limit. Today we upgraded my son's iPhone. He signed out of his iCloud account on the old phone. When he goes into iCloud on the new phone and looks at the iCloud backup area he sees the old "iPhone 12 backup" and there is no new backup for the new phone. Is this because there isn't enough remaining space in our 200GB space? Should he select the "iPhone 12 backup" and delete it? Will the new phone then begin backing up? When I look on my phone I see in iCloud+ the following: 176.4 GB of 200 GB Used. When I go to Family Usage I see he is currently using 47.3 GB. I've tried to google this but not having luck. Hopefully the community can help.

iPhone 14

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 8:02 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 13, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

If he has already used the backup of the old phone to setup the new phone (or doesn't want to do that) he can delete the backup of the old phone by going to Settings > [username] > iCloud > Manage Account Storage > Backups > [old phone name] > Delete Backup.

He may also want to go to Settings > [username] > iCloud > iCloud Backups an insure that "Back Up this iPhone" is on and also tap "Back Up Now" to start an immediate backup of the new phone. Backups should occur automatically but doing the Back Up Now will insure he has an immediate backup before the first automatic one happens.

iCloud backup from old phone showing on new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.