MacOS reading out voiceover even though voiceover is switched off

I've just updated to Sonoma 14.4 on my 2022 M2 MacBook Air.

VoiceOver is reading back the menus even though VoiceOver is switched off in System Settings and I haven't activated VoiceOver.

I've tried rebooting but it hasn't had any effect.

When I enable VoiceOver it double reads the VoiceOver

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 13, 2024 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2024 2:00 PM

Hi I had this problem too updating to Sonoma, I fixed it with System Settings>Accessibility>Spoken Content and then Untick "Speak Item Under The Pointer"

2 replies

Mar 15, 2024 8:37 PM in response to Crakle

Re: "MacOS reading out voiceover even though voiceover is switched off"

Wondering if a different feature than VoiceOver may also be in use on your Mac: eg: here are two examples:

Example One:

If text is selected when you press the keyboard shortcut, the selected text is spoken. Otherwise, available text items in the current window are spoken; for example, if Mail is the current window, an email message

is read.

See how to set it up / turn it off: Have your Mac speak text that’s on the screen - Apple Support

NB: 5: To stop the speaking, press the keyboard shortcut again. (the default key combination is Option-Esc)

Example Two:

Eg: In many apps, your Mac can read aloud documents, web pages, messages and more.

In an app on your Mac, do any of the following:

• Hear an entire document: Choose Edit > Speech > Start Speaking.
  • Hear part of a document: In a document, select the text you want to hear, then choose Edit > Speech > Start Speaking.
  • Stop the speaking: Choose Edit > Speech > Stop Speaking.

Above is from: Hear your Mac read documents - Apple Support

MacOS reading out voiceover even though voiceover is switched off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.