Strange "Reply to:" address appearing on sent emails

Recently, a couple of my sent emails have "Reply to:" followed by a very long email address that has nothing to do with me under the name of the sender. It only appears on some emails, and I see it when I go back and look at them in my sent file. When I exit the sent folder and then go back to look at the email again, the "Reply to:" line has disappeared. The end of this strange email address includes the name of a website I get emails from daily, but with "e." after the @ and before the company name. My software is up to date. What is this, and how can I get it to go away? Thanks.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 13, 2024 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 3:50 PM

Same thing here for maybe a week or so. A familiar “Reply To” address is added to emails that have nothing to do with the sender.

29 replies

Apr 13, 2024 6:06 AM in response to MsDWag

I have seen the same issue and no xfinity connection. A reply-to: showing in an email I received that is an email address I have probably used or received email from but has NOTHING to do with that particular message or sender. (The sender is website A that I use and am getting a support email from, the reply-to is website B that I use but am not in any discussion with and has not the least bit to do with A)

i checked via the email provider’s web interface and there is no reply-to on the message. Pretty sure it is a glitch in the Apple mail client.

Apr 13, 2024 6:27 AM in response to FanButCritical

I have an open ticket with Apple. At their recommendation, I deleted all email accounts, restarted phone, added email accounts ... and the issue still appears. Then I reinstalled iOS 17.4.1 and ... the issue still appears. The next step is to wipe the phone and start anew, but I agree with you that it's a bug with Apple's Mail client. So, I may not wipe the phone. (Note that the other way to clear the error is just to force quit Mail, rather than a reboot.) Apple's next step is to escalate it to engineering, so I will make that call this week. But, it may be too late to correct the error in 17.5.

Apr 26, 2024 2:18 PM in response to irene150

You've experienced the precise issue that Apple told me had been escalated to engineering. How it happens is beyond me; I just hope that Apple has time to address it before the release of iOS 17.5. One thing I noticed is that the problem does not appear in macOS 14.4.1, and I advised Apple Support. I also told them I haven't noticed if it's a problem in iPadOS 17.4.1, simply because I don't use it as much.

Apr 18, 2024 3:33 PM in response to MsDWag

This just happened. My wife just sent an email to our property management company and received an auto response with a reply-to email labeled “Rack Room Shoes” and when I looked at the reply-to info it listed a really long email address @rackroomshoes.com.

My wife restarted her phone and the reply-to emails were no longer present.

We have Xfinity Internet but that seems like a stretch considering the reply-to addresses were removed after restarting the phone?

This email was initially sent using a Gmail account connected to the Apple email client on her phone.

Strange "Reply to:" address appearing on sent emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.