Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iCloud Notes will not save. Windows 11 device New problem

Changes/updates to items in iCloud Notes will no longer save. "Saving..." displayed indefinitely at upper right-hand of screen. Windows 11 device. New problem. Thanks in advance!

Windows, Windows 11 (22621)

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 9:44 AM

That sounds like Apple support is using typical pass the buck excuses. I do not use Norton and the problem just happened a few weeks ago. There were no other changes to my PC whatsoever. The problem is with the notes application on the PC. until Apple admits or realizes, something is broken this product is unusable

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2024 9:44 AM in response to CurtComer24

That sounds like Apple support is using typical pass the buck excuses. I do not use Norton and the problem just happened a few weeks ago. There were no other changes to my PC whatsoever. The problem is with the notes application on the PC. until Apple admits or realizes, something is broken this product is unusable

Mar 21, 2024 9:23 AM in response to CurtComer24

Just wanted to post an update on efforts concerning original post.

Efforts included:

1) I rebooted my windows device

2) I increased my icloud storage subscription (it was near full)

3) Updated my Norton security subscription to Norton Utilities Ultimate and ran the related processes to clean disk, fix broken links, etc,

None of these actions helped.

Tried tech support chat with Apple who were not able to solve the problem, so connected me with Apple phone support who confirmed via several tests using my iPhone that the problem was not with my Apple/iCloud account, but instead has to do with 3rd party browser not communicating with the Apple server. They had me confirm that my Windows, Firefox and Chrome were all up-to-date - which they are. Therefore, they said, the problem was with my Norton firewall/security settings and I should call them.

Called Norton tech support - they disabled the firewall & auto-protect.  Same problem and they said it's “not

Norton”

Whew, have spent a boat-load of time on this issue with no resolution. Not even sure where to turn next. Good luck to others experiencing same.

Apr 3, 2024 8:51 AM in response to CurtComer24

Wanted to post an update to my original message.  I have been on the phone several times with Apple

Customer Support, who after multiple tests have confirmed there is indeed a

problem – they have escalated the case to “the engineers” and said they would

be back in contact within a few days. 

In the meantime, I was able to identify the saving issue on my PC is

isolated to two (of the 10 total) notes on my iCloud.  The other notes save changes normally.  So, I copied the contents (all text, no

attachments) to a word document and deleted the problematic notes from iCloud.  Then I created new notes and copied/pasted

the contents of each to the new notes. 

Some of the formatting was lost during this operation, so I spent time

to reorganize the titles, headings, subheadings, etc. back to the original look

and feel. 

This action has solved the problem and changes/updates to these new notes

now save without problems.  I can only

assume these notes had gotten corrupted somehow and were interfering with

communication between my PC and the Apple servers?!

Anyway, I hope this workaround is helpful to others.

Curt

Apr 1, 2024 11:05 PM in response to CurtComer24

Okay. Funny enough as soon as I posted that workaround I figured out a decent solution using what I learned from my testing.

1. Just type whatever you needed to type on apple notes as normal.
  2. Copy that message.
  3. Sign out using the same steps from my previous message to save you time. (Go to the top right of your screen click on the avatar icon and click sign out. Then Click Trust and Sign Out. You should see "Changes are being saved" header click cancel and on the top of your screen after clicking cancel, you should see 'Leave site' header at least on Google Chrome--click leave)
  4. Go back into Apple Notes and go to the place where you were going to place said message and paste it. Wait for 'Edited' to change to 'Saving...' (which is the only time it'll actually save for some reason) and do step 3 again. And boom you should see your changes.

: )

Mar 22, 2024 2:34 AM in response to CurtComer24

Hi,

I had the same problem for a week. Today I found a simple solution. It might not be the best. I do not know if it will last long or if it works for other people.

Here is what I found. Failure to save an edited Notes file happened only to only one file, not all, my Notes files. Apparently, this problematic Note file contained too many characters. Apple iCould could not handle it. I solved my problem after I divided this lengthy Note into several smaller Notes.

Even dividing that old lengthy Note is not one straightforward step. I had to copy the original Note in a Notepad document, divide them into small parts and create/post new Note files on iCould as separate files one by one.

Cutting down and even deleting the original lengthy Note required me to close the iCloud Notes app and reopen it again. But at last, all ends well.

Let me know if the above works for you or otherwise. Good luck.

Ariel

Mar 24, 2024 5:31 PM in response to CurtComer24

I have had same problem off and on. Have Windows 10 Pro, using current Edge browser. Have had this issue in the past, and for no apparent reason it cleared up and desktop Notes started successfully saving notes, saying Edited and then Saved, with time date stamp every second that I changed the note's content. Now nothing updates - last time it updated was 3/15/24, after that - nothing. Tried multiple solutions, none were permanent, powered down PC and waited overnight, no fix - previously when I closed the browser and reopened Edge, it would begin saving current edits again, but not for the last 2 weeks or so. Not happy with Apple for not being able to fix what should be a straightforward sync issue.

iCloud Notes will not save. Windows 11 device New problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.