Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iCloud Windows Media Feature Pack error

I'm making a new post for this since no one has given any satisfactory answers on either of the two other threads for this problem (links at bottom). The error is that when installing iCloud on Windows 11, it is not detecting the computer already has Media Features installed and turned on. The following error pops up:

ALT text: Your computer is missing media features. Download and install the Media Feature Pack for N versions of Windows. Download

The problem is, I am not using an N version of Windows. I am using a full version of Windows 11, and I have Media Features already installed and turned on. Some of the help threads I've seen elsewhere tell the users to go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features, and to turn it on manually. Mine was always on, so this is clearly not the problem.

None of the threads I have found have a satisfactory answer. Link 1 below provides a link to a random website with a download, but I don't consider than an "answer" to this problem, because I don't download mystery links. At least 100 other people have said they have this problem.

Link 1: iCloud for Windows 11 insists I need medi… - Apple Community

Link 2: How do I install Windows Media Pack? - Apple Community

Windows, Windows 11 (22631)

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 6:12 AM

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Did not make any difference to the problem.

2. The suggested route does not exists on my PC's (On Windows 10 N: Select Start, then select Settings Apps Apps and Features > Optional features > Add a feature.) There is no Optional features shown.

Back to square one.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2024 6:12 AM in response to eemq

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Did not make any difference to the problem.

2. The suggested route does not exists on my PC's (On Windows 10 N: Select Start, then select Settings Apps Apps and Features > Optional features > Add a feature.) There is no Optional features shown.

Back to square one.

Apr 26, 2024 7:29 AM in response to krysdoran

Same problem here. In my case, I'm getting the error message not on installing iCloud but after several years of successfully using it. The error doesn't cripple iCloud. I don't use all features of iCloud but the ones that I do still work. The only nuisance is the error message popping up. I can't get rid of it. When I close it, it comes back a few minutes later.

This suddenly started happening out-of-the-blue. I checked the software update logs, there had been no recent windows updates and the last icloud SW update was 2 months ago. I'm running windows 11 Pro 23H2. So it's not an N version. Media features are enabled and working.

When I click on the Download link in the popup, nothing happens.

Apr 12, 2024 3:22 PM in response to krysdoran

I had the same problem with my Windows 10 22H2 computer. The message is very misleading, clicking Download doesn't actually take you to a download. Here's what I did to make the error message go away. Hope this work for you all!!

1. Toggle this on/off: Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features (I unchecked OFF, then rechecked ON to basically do an uninstall/reinstall)
  2. Go here: Windows 11 / Windows 10 22H2: Media Feature Pack for Windows 10/11 N (February 2023)
    • Do the Additional Steps section: Click each link and when prompted install using the Microsoft Store.
Additional steps

After you have installed the Media Feature Pack, there are additional apps that can be installed from Microsoft Store to regain additional functionality. Such apps include (but are not limited to):

* Media codecs for playback of media in apps and in the browser:
* VP9 Video Extensions
* Web Media Extensions
* HEIF Image Extensions
* HEVC Video Extensions

• Note: I actually had to pay the $0.99 for the HEVC Video Extensions. I'm assuming that since Windows does not natively support HEVC, we need this to view such videos on iCloud.

Apr 25, 2024 6:10 AM in response to eemq

Thanks eemq,

I will try your solution later. Note that there are open source solutions for HEVC like wic_HEIC I'm using.

But maybe that is just the problem?

Apple is looking for certain files in your machine (not its capability to use and open certain files) and they know the ones that are in this 'Windows Media Feature Pack'. So they simply base their error on that?

Realizing this it makes the error more and more illogical ;oD

iCloud Windows Media Feature Pack error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.