iPad Air (5th Generation) vs Apple iPad (10th Generation)

Thinking of getting my Wife a new iPad. She currently has an old iPad 2 Air with 32GB of storage (almost full). I was looking at the iPad Air (5th gen) that is on sale for $450. Then I came across the iPad (10th gen) that is only $350. I did some googling to see what the difference is and all I can see is the M1 vs A14 (and some minor size differences). I don't mind paying the extra $100, but why if I don't need too? She already has an M1 MacBook Air that she uses, but or traveling and reading a book, the iPad is a nice addition. What does the iPad community think?

iPad Air 2

Posted on Mar 19, 2024 8:25 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 19, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

You can compare the specifications of all iPad models here:

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/?modelList=ipad-pro-12-9-6th-gen,ipad-air-5th-gen,ipad-10th-gen

The iPad Air5 is considerably more powerful than the iPad10. Amongst the functional differences between the iPad Air5 and the iPad10, consider that the Air5 supports an extended desktop when connected to an external monitor - effectively doubling effective screen space - unlike the iPad10 that only supports screen-mirroring (i.e. replicating) the iPad display to the external monitor.

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage, 512GB and higher having a greater margin for growth.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

Mar 19, 2024 10:39 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks, LotusPilot

Thanks so much for your detailed response. As I said, we would be replacing an iPad Air2 with only 32GB of storage (pretty small). The new iPad would not be my wife's primary device, she only uses the current one for Kindle books. Maybe for watching movies on a flight here and there, but I think 64GB would suffice. There would never be a use case for using an external monitor. Usually, she uses her MacBook Air M1 for everything. I think my choice would be either the iPad Air5 or the iPad10 with 64GB of storage (I prefer to keep the costs to a minimum). Like I said, $450 is a decent price, but $350 is better if I'm not getting much more for the extra $100. I love the M1 on our MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Seems like both iPads have the same display and battery life. She has an iPhone, so we don't need a WiFi+Cellular model. Thanks again.

iPad Air (5th Generation) vs Apple iPad (10th Generation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.