Please Apple can you make Time Capsules again?

Hi,

I am so tired of the poor backup solutions offered out there! I never understood why Apple stopped making such a great product as the Time Capsule. A brilliant product offering storage + a private network. I tried to replace my 2 time capsules (3TB each) by a Synology DS220+ 2x6TB… What a disaster!! My conclusion is: it is not really compatible with Apple and is so tiresome to use and set. Regularly, I lose the connection as for some reasons it changes its IP address. Many comments and issues reported on Reddit and other Synology help platforms but their products are just not great for apple users. Twice already my Synology 6TB drive is full (raid1)… Time Machine is supposed to erase older backups but apparently it is not working on Synology. Backups size of both mac/mac book pro are 600GB + 750GB. So, luckily I still had a 3TB time capsule. My other capsule had a dead HD, so I ordered a new HD and replaced it thanks to a YouTube video!! I am not at all an IT person but I was really motivated!! Got my 2 time capsules still working now and my apple airports too.

So please, Apple can you come up with a new Apple friendly and efficient backup solution for Apple users? I can assure you, I am not the only one missing these Apple Capsules…

Posted on Mar 19, 2024 8:53 PM

2 replies

Mar 20, 2024 10:14 AM in response to emicotisg

I never understood why Apple stopped making such a great product as the Time Capsule.

This was an easy business decision for Apple, but painful for users who relied on the products.

Routers have always been a low profit business and coupled with the additional support levels that a product like the Time Capsule demanded.....this simply does not fit into Apple's strong preference for very high profit products that also bring in continuous residual income.

Time Machine is supposed to erase older backups.....

Well, that is the theory. In practice, things don't work nearly as well as the theory suggests.

For example, Apple never told us that older backups would be erased automatically to make room for new backups......IF......the new backup was small and would not take up much storage space.

If the Time Capsule was full, or close to full and the next backup was larger in size than normal......as might occur after an update or a number of new photos or videos were added.......that the Time Capsule and Time Machine could not erase enough of the old backups to make room for the new larger than normal backup.

In this case, the user was forced to erase the Time Capsule disc and start over, or transfer everything on the Time Capsule disc over to another drive before a new backup would run.

As you might imagine, explaining this and helping users through this took up lot of time for the support folks at Apple.

Please Apple can you make Time Capsules again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.