mac mail server settings

When using a Cox email address to set up a Yahoo! email account on Mac Mail, Mac Mail defaults to Cox server settings instead of to the correct Yahoo! server settings. How do I change the incoming mail server from Cox to Yahoo!? (That's not a typo -- my new Yahoo! email uses my old Cox email address for Yahoo! mail.)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 2:45 PM

Thanks, SMWillow! That worked like a charm! For others, here's some more detail that may help. These instructions work for MacOS Monterey version 12.7.4. I suspect there are slight differences with newer MacOS.

1. To set up the one-time app password, sign into your Yahoo! web security page. Here's a link to the Yahoo! instructions for setting up a one-time password. It has an embedded link to the Yahoo! web security page. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/generate-manage-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html When generating the one-time app password, Yahoo! asks for the name of your app. I typed Apple Mail.
  2. Copy the one-time password.
  3. Open the Apple Mail app on your computer. Click on Mail and then from the drop down box click on Add Account. Follow the prompts for adding a new Mail account, but don't use "Yahoo! Mail." Instead, set up an "Other" account. Use your Yahoo! logon credentials but use your new one-time password instead of your regular Yahoo! password.
  4. You'll get a pop up box that says it failed to connect. The popup box should show that Mail used "Cox" server settings instead of Yahoo! server settings. Change the Cox server settings to the correct Yahoo! settings. The correct server settings are: for the incoming server: imap.mail.yahoo.com and for outgoing: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
  5. That worked for me.

This has been extremely frustrating. Yahoo! customer service was worthless. It's inexcusable they didn't give us these simple instructions. Thanks again SMWillow.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2024 2:45 PM in response to SMWillow

Thanks, SMWillow! That worked like a charm! For others, here's some more detail that may help. These instructions work for MacOS Monterey version 12.7.4. I suspect there are slight differences with newer MacOS.

1. To set up the one-time app password, sign into your Yahoo! web security page. Here's a link to the Yahoo! instructions for setting up a one-time password. It has an embedded link to the Yahoo! web security page. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/generate-manage-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html When generating the one-time app password, Yahoo! asks for the name of your app. I typed Apple Mail.
  2. Copy the one-time password.
  3. Open the Apple Mail app on your computer. Click on Mail and then from the drop down box click on Add Account. Follow the prompts for adding a new Mail account, but don't use "Yahoo! Mail." Instead, set up an "Other" account. Use your Yahoo! logon credentials but use your new one-time password instead of your regular Yahoo! password.
  4. You'll get a pop up box that says it failed to connect. The popup box should show that Mail used "Cox" server settings instead of Yahoo! server settings. Change the Cox server settings to the correct Yahoo! settings. The correct server settings are: for the incoming server: imap.mail.yahoo.com and for outgoing: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
  5. That worked for me.

This has been extremely frustrating. Yahoo! customer service was worthless. It's inexcusable they didn't give us these simple instructions. Thanks again SMWillow.

Mar 24, 2024 3:23 PM in response to gpilcher

gpilcher - Glad to have helped, your post was the only one I found when trying to figure out what was going wrong. After consulting with a higher level Apple support person, she told me that Yahoo is sending the wrong server names to the Mail app on the MacBook. And she attempted to do the same process with selecting 'Other' but we needed the one time app password to get access to my Yahoo mail account. I called Cox which sent me to Yahoo (no charge for phone support) since it was a transition issue with Yahoo. The phone support person had their technical support person go through this with me. This is not a widely known solution but hopefully others will see your much clearer instructions. At least it only took four days to resolve for me!

Mar 24, 2024 10:03 AM in response to gpilcher

OMG! Success talking to Yahoo via Cox - you need to generate a one time app password for Mail in your Yahoo Mail web account.

Add account in Apple Mail on MacBook Pro using 'other mail acct', use the one time app password to get into Yahoo, you will get the imap & the smtp addresses for cox, change to yahoo and that should get you in. It's not on Apple's end but Yahoo's.

Mar 21, 2024 6:53 AM in response to gpilcher

Remove the email account, and re-add the account using the generic new mail account path (not the Yahoo! path) and use the credentials provided by Cox and the mail server settings provided by Yahoo!.

Unsurprisingly for any such large hosting transition, it seems not entirely smooth sailing:

I’d consider migrating to iCloud hosting with my own domain. This allows you to migrate mail hosting in the future without losing your own email address. ISPs and hosting providers can shuffle their domains and services, as is happening here.

Apr 28, 2024 4:18 PM in response to gpilcher

COX to Yahoo Mail instructions for Mac:

Here are more detailed instructions to get you Cox email from Yahoo to show up on Apple Mail.

Transition from COX to Yahoo:

• Open a mail account at Yahoo using the old COX login information. (visit mail.yahoo.com/login )
  • Put in a new password as requested
  • Fill out the personal information (Privacy Hint: use a fake birthday that you can remember)
  • Put in the recovery email and phone as requested (Privacy hint: Use the “Hide my email” function on the iPhone and a phone number that you don’t mind Yahoo selling)
  • Generate a Yahoo 3rd Party App Password (see https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15241.html )
    • When creating an app password, use a browser that you've used to sign into Yahoo for several days in a row and avoid using Incognito mode. If this isn’t successful, use webmail or the official Yahoo App to access your email. Customer care can’t override this process of determining App Password creation eligibility.

Open Apple Mail account:

• Open Apple Mail as usual
  • Select Mail/Add Account
  • Choose “Other mail account” (NOTE: Don’t choose “yahoo!”)
  • Fill in the name of the mailbox, the email address (e.g. myself@cox.net), and use the Yahoo 3rd party password from above.
  • On the new screen:
  • The new e-mail account will show up a “Cox” on your Apple Mail Inbox List.

• OPTIONAL: To change the name from “Cox” on your Apple Mail Inbox List
    • Select Mail/Settings
    • Select the “@Accounts” tab
    • Select the “Cox” IMAP account from the list on the left side
    • Change the “Description” to whatever you want the mailbox name to be displayed as in Apple Mail.

Adding it on to your iPhone after the above is done.

• Select Setting/Mail/Accounts/Add Account
  • Choose Yahoo!
  • Sign in using you email address and the password associated with the on-line account (not the one time app password)

Mar 21, 2024 7:46 AM in response to MrHoffman

Mr Hoffman -- Thanks for the response. Your advice is good and makes sense. However, I had tried that before seeking help. I've deleted and added the Yahoo! email account to Mac Mail both automatically and manually numerous times, trying every different combination of servers, user names, and passwords I could think of. Nothing works. Seems like many others have the same problem. I can access Yahoo! mail using the Mail app on my iphone and by going directly to Yahoo!'s website, but I can't access Yahoo! mail using the Mail app on my MacBook or iMac. I believe the problem lies in the server configurations, but using the manual process to add a mail account and inputting the correct server settings doesn't fix it. I suspect that using a Cox email address causes something to happen behind the scenes in the Mac Mail app that prevents the Yahoo! server settings from working.

Mar 21, 2024 8:27 AM in response to gpilcher

I would to expect the generic email add path to do that, but check with Cox and Yahoo!, then.

I’ve had a tussle with mail just this week due to iCloud gremlins, and some of the default settings offered by Apple mail on iPadOS are just bad. Ended up having to remove that account, change the password on the mail server, and re-add the account, verifying all the details such as needing SSL/TLS enabled on both sets of server settings and credentials; for IMAP SSL/TLS, and for ESMTP.

Apr 27, 2024 2:00 PM in response to gpilcher

I downloaded the new OS (sonoma 14.4.1), added the account as OTHER and updated the servers as listed above, but I still get a "Unable to verify account name or password" and the account shows OFFLINE. I tried turning online, fetching mail, etc no joy. Anyone have another solution? The only option I didn't choose was POP mail bc IMAP is preferred. Also, I added the mail account to my iPhone, so I already have a password. I didn't get a one time password for the mac attempts, but don't think this would make a difference. Thank you.

mac mail server settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.