Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change an account’s POP server in Apple Mail on Mac?

I can view a Yahoo account’s POP mail server in Apple Mail like this: control-click on the account name in the sidebar, select Get Account Info > Summary. This shows what I think to be an incorrect incoming mail server, preventing connection lion and downloading of incoming messages. How do I change the incoming mail server?

I could find nothing of help on Apple’s online Mail User Guide Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

or here on the Apple Community site.

Apple Mail Version 12.4 (3445.104.21)

macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

I finally found my own answer…

I think it not possible to edit the incoming server with certain types of account, e.g. Yahoo.

So I deleted the old Yahoo account that was not connecting and where the incoming (POP) server could not be changed.

I then added a new account, selecting “Other Mail Account…”. (Possibly the only type where all settings can be edited.)

I provided only my name, email address and login password and Mail immediately connected to the incoming server, same as listed in the old account (!?), and began downloading messages. Got 2 emails from Yahoo (I was connecting to a Frontier/Yahoo account) alerting to a sign-in to a new third party application on Mac OS X. 

I can’t explain why an account of type Yahoo did not work for me.

I would suggest that “Other Mail Account…” should be used for all email accounts because it allows setting all parameters.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 10:22 AM

tbirdvet: I should have mentioned in my original post that I have a Frontier/Yahoo account, which apparently differs (according to your post) from a straight Yahoo account because…

In Mail, after selecting Mail > Preferences… > Accounts & clicking "+" in the sidebar, then choosing "Other Mail Account…" I only entered my name, my Frontier email address and login password, and everything else was set up automatically, including the POP3 email server (pop3.frontier.com; Frontier Technical Service says I can also use pop.mail.yahoo.com). Other than through the Apple Mail application, I access this account on the web through Yahoo.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 10:22 AM in response to tbirdvet

tbirdvet: I should have mentioned in my original post that I have a Frontier/Yahoo account, which apparently differs (according to your post) from a straight Yahoo account because…

In Mail, after selecting Mail > Preferences… > Accounts & clicking "+" in the sidebar, then choosing "Other Mail Account…" I only entered my name, my Frontier email address and login password, and everything else was set up automatically, including the POP3 email server (pop3.frontier.com; Frontier Technical Service says I can also use pop.mail.yahoo.com). Other than through the Apple Mail application, I access this account on the web through Yahoo.

Aug 4, 2022 11:09 AM in response to acimica

When you did this you changed the POP account to IMAP. To use Yahoo and have a POP account you need to use the PW generated by Yahoo. You cannot use your old POW that you generated. To set up a Yahoo POP account you need to pick "other" and then on next screen put in a bogus email and then on next screen use real email and select type as POP. You still will need to have Yahoo generate a PW.

How do I change an account’s POP server in Apple Mail on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.