Problems Resetting .AppleSetupDone

I forgot my password, so I'm trying to use the Terminal to create new Admin Username and Password. After reading several post here on how to do it, I've run into this problem when I type in the following:

rm var/db/.AppleSetupDone

No such file or directory exists

After reading several posts, I know I need to reset the .AppleSetupDone. So I'm now trying to use the following to do that:

cd /Volumes

ls -l (This will show all volumes)

cd Macintosh\ HD

cd var/db

ls -la (You should now see a .AppleSetupDone file)

rm .AppleSetupDone

My problem now is that my volumes show up as the following:

Macintosh HD 1

Macintosh HD 2

Macintosh HD 3

Macintosh HD 4

Since the OS resides in Macintosh HD 1, how do I type that in the Terminal's

cd Macintosh\ HD line?

Mac Pro, macOS 11.7

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 10:37 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 22, 2024 2:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Extending on what BDAqua wrote…

If you’re unsure of shell syntax (or writing a script defensively), use vertical double quotes " (not the “” angled quotes!) around all paths. If you have multiple volumes, check each for that file.

cd "/Volumes"
ls -l # This will show all volumes
cd "/Volumes/[whatever]/var/db"
ls -la # You might see a .AppleSetupDone file
rm ".AppleSetupDone" #if you do find it

You might need a sudo rm command, based on some of what I’m finding elsewhere.

But I’d expect a Mac that can’t boot via power button or Command-R (“My Mac Pro will not let me boot up either by just pressing the Power button or using Command + R”) is well and truly stuffed, and you’ll want to discuss this matter with folks that know what happened to allow this Mac Pro to get even to macOS 11.

Mar 22, 2024 6:31 AM in response to Robert Brown10

Robert Brown10 wrote:

My Mac Pro will not let me boot up either by just pressing the Power button or using Command + R. Is there any other way I can boot up to get into Options? Also, unfortunately, I don't have the Recover DVD for the computer.

Recovery DVDs haven’t been used for ~fourteen years. Online Recovery has been the norm, and that has gotten rather better and more capable since macOS 10.12 or so. The last Mac Pro with a DVD drive is a ~dozen years old, too.

Is this a Mac Pro 2013 (“trashcan”), or Mac Pro 2019 (“lattice”)? Given you’re seemingly running macOS 11, hr a 2013 trashcan, or the 2019 Intel lattice are the only Mac Pro options. Probably not a Mac Pro 2006-2012 (“cheese-grater”) or Apple silicon 2023 (lattice”), given the macOS shown.

If a long press on the power switch isn’t working, and you’ll also want to have tried a wired keyboard. you’ll either need to figure out why the Mac Pro isn’t powering up, or get it repaired, or replace it.

If you can get it booted, run Diagnostics. Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Diagnostics aren’t great at finding transient errors, but can find overt errors.

Mar 21, 2024 6:49 PM in response to Robert Brown10

Is this about the Mac Pro desktop running macOS 11.7 as shown in your equipment line, or a different Apple device? I have to ask for two reasons: the equipment lines are wrong about half the time, and this forum section is for Apple devices made before about 2006 and questions about newer devices get few views.

If something else, please post the model, sub-model (the part with a year) and the macOS version it is running.

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2024 6:12 AM in response to Allan Jones

Since I can't get log into the computer I can't get the information on the model of my Mac Pro. But it's probably a model that's a bit older than 2006. The OS system seems to have been compromised, since it will not let boot up using Command + R. It only allows me to boot up using Command + S to the Terminal. Sadly, I'm not skilled in knowing all the coding needed to use the Terminal, so I must rely on code I can attain on line. That's why I was hoping someone here could answer my question concerning how to correctly change this code line -

cd Macintosh\ HD

when my Mac Pro has volumes partitioned in the following manner where the OS is on the first listed volume:

Macintosh HD 1

Macintosh HD 2

Macintosh HD 3

Macintosh HD 4

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2024 11:45 AM in response to Robert Brown10

Please...if someone who knows Terminal code can answer this query, this will help out a lot:

After reading several posts, I know I need to reset the .AppleSetupDone. So I'm now trying to use the following Terminal coding to do that:

cd /Volumes

ls -l (This will show all volumes)

cd Macintosh\ HD

cd var/db

ls -la (You should now see a .AppleSetupDone file)

rm .AppleSetupDone

My problem now is that my volumes show up as the following:

Macintosh HD 1

Macintosh HD 2

Macintosh HD 3

Macintosh HD 4

Since the OS resides in Macintosh HD 1, how do I type that in the Terminal's

cd Macintosh\ HD line? I've tried several, including cd Macintosh\HD 1

but it doesn't seem to work.

Help!

Problems Resetting .AppleSetupDone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.