Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Battery Draining on my iPhone after recent iOS update

Well, i was waiting for a big update to solve the battery drain issue from iOS 17.4, but the new update x.x.1 make it worse, now my battery take only 5 hours on screen. On iOS 16 it was so different, my phone had something about 10 hours of screen, now its less than half.

i have an iPhone 12

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 4:37 PM

I have high battery drain issue on my iPhone 12 since i updated to 17.4.1. My battery health is 89%. after struggling for hours with high battery drain & charging issue, i factory reset my iPhone but status remains same.

Battery drops 15-20% within 15 min while on low power mode & standby, it charges very slowly. All while iphone frame is rocking hot, whether it's charging or dis-charging on standby.

I hope it will not burst. phone is of no use at all to be honest.

124 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2024 4:37 PM in response to YudiYamawaki

I have high battery drain issue on my iPhone 12 since i updated to 17.4.1. My battery health is 89%. after struggling for hours with high battery drain & charging issue, i factory reset my iPhone but status remains same.

Battery drops 15-20% within 15 min while on low power mode & standby, it charges very slowly. All while iphone frame is rocking hot, whether it's charging or dis-charging on standby.

I hope it will not burst. phone is of no use at all to be honest.

Apr 29, 2024 5:20 PM in response to YudiYamawaki

Yes, you are right. After significant iOS updates, especially when there are a lot of changes, it’s common for users to experience increased battery drain. This can happen due to several reasons, such as the system indexing new files, apps updating in the background to become compatible with the new OS, and new features that may use more power. Additionally, if there are bugs in the update, they can also cause the battery to drain more quickly. However, there are several settings you can adjust to help reduce battery drain, some are:

• Force restart your iPhone to clear temporary glitches.
  • Disable Bluetooth when not in use, as it can consume battery life.
  • Update all apps to ensure they are optimized for the new iOS version.
  • Disable Siri and search settings as well as journaling suggestions and the app privacy report, which run in the background and can drain the battery.

For a comprehensive guide with step-by-step instructions on how to adjust these settings and more, you can refer to this helpful article: How to Stop Battery Draining on iPhone After a Recent IOS Update. By following the tips mentioned there, I hope the battery drainage on your device will be significantly reduced

Mar 24, 2024 1:25 PM in response to YudiYamawaki

Same here since yesterday when I updated on 17.4.1, I have an iPhone 15 Pro (bought new at Apple Store when released last year), I startet this morning with 80% battery, typical low sunday-use (bit of music, insta and safari for in total 2,5 hours, no photos, no videos, no youtube, no calls) and 12 hours later my battery is at 19% ?!

Hope they’ll fix that soon!

Mar 24, 2024 10:25 AM in response to tobor58

iPhone 13 Pro, battery health level 95%. Since "upgrading" to 17.4 (now 17.4.1) I need to recharge my device at least twice a day. Before upgrading a full charge used to last about two days, I am not a power user. There is obviously something very wrong with 17.4 or with the upgrading procedure, will try to reset-recover and report...

Mar 24, 2024 2:47 AM in response to ChandanNapster

same here (se 2022) since 17.4.1… Whats worse is that overnight it charges to full and then stops charging and starts draining, leaving me to start the day with a phone @ 70 % (!!!) (different cables, different chargers, and wireless charging).

And indeed also in use (particularly carplay) very hot so removed the protective casing…

Seems like a software bug in the latest iOS leading to drainage (again.. :( )

Mar 30, 2024 10:31 AM in response to YudiYamawaki

iOS 17 is one of the worst iOS release ever.

This update destroyed battery life on my iPhone.

On iOS 16 I used to easily get 10-12h screen on time. I updated from iOS 16 to iOS 17.3 and suddenly I barely can get 6h screen on time.

That's literally half of what I used to get.

On an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

This is unacceptable and Apple needs to be held accountable for this. This is clearly intentional practice to upgrade to a new phone. My battery health is at 94% and it was at 95% on iOS 16, so no, it's not a battery health issue. It's apple and this update.

Oh, and apple deletes my comment. Looks like we can't even tell how disappointed we are here.

Mar 25, 2024 7:54 AM in response to YudiYamawaki

iPhone 12, battery max capacity showing 85%. Battery usage by app showing the United airlines widget background activity with high usage. Removed all airline widgets, turned off background refresh on United, charged phone back to 80% (it had dropped from 100% to 60% in a little over an hour).

Have not noticed a temperature issue, but does seem to be charging slowly. No issues with this phone before the iOS update, and original battery in phone.

Mar 27, 2024 2:01 PM in response to YudiYamawaki

Since Apple has been creating updates for the iOS, users have been complaining that their iPhone battery has weakened considerably. The latest update— 17.4.1 — is no different. 

Apple knows this yet it continually issues updates with the same battery problem. Why can’t they solve the problem before issuing the update?

I guess I’m guilty of using too much logic.

Battery Draining on my iPhone after recent iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.