Hotspot/Bluethooth Connection Issues for iPhone and Win11 both

iPad Model A2757 (Cellular) using Hotspot/Bluetooth functions to connect to iPhone11 and Intel NUC (desktop with Win11). So, iPad is acting like a router (like a VZW MiFi/Jetpack).

IPhone - After a reboot, manually, iPhone's iPad icon must be touched to activate in each sub-menu for Bluetooth/Wifi

Intel NUC's WiFi - After rebooting the NUC, I must use both switches (iPad's Hotspot & NUC's WiFi) by clicking them off/on at nearly the same time , then the NUC has WiFi.

Win11 Network tab, I noticed this activity in pic below where Win11 is attempting to connect to the iPad, but it fails. Win11 will make at least two attempts.

This same connection issue will happen when an user using a VZW router attempts to reconnect his iPad to this VZW router. His issue is the opposite of mine where mine is using iPad as a router in essence, and his is using a VZW router as the router. So, if this DSL forumn discussion is read, do note this difference. I have a few geek skills.

iPad

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 9:11 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 25, 2024 4:42 AM in response to 84B23F

Re-posting my post at DSLReports

I believe in both of our situations, the iPad is using the Private Network mode to self-connect, and when we use active measures to connect, iPad uses the Public Network mode. When watching Win11's "Network & internet" as seen below, iPad will always try to connect via Private Network mode when I do nothing, but when I cycle off/on iPad/Win11 switches (Personal Hotspot/WiFi, respectively), then a connection.

Mar 26, 2024 7:59 PM in response to TonyMan13

After booting up Win11, I have to turn off both switches (iPad & Win11), and turn them back on for hotspot function to work. I believe after a short time interval, the iPad quits looking for devices wanting a WiFi connection. Repeating, I'm using my cellular iPad as the router, and TonyMan13 is using a VZW router. I have not tried the Airplane Mode on/off, but I will try it, and post the finding.

Note - First pic was taken from a Google search....not iPad's menu icon...just for showing hotspot icon.

Mar 26, 2024 6:44 PM in response to 84B23F

I'm the other person he is referring to. I have two iPads showing the same issue. When woken up, half the time there is no internet connection, and I do not see my Roku TV or my neighbors networks under the network settings. The fastest way ro fix it is to cycle Airplane Mode on/off. Then I'm back on the internet and see my neighbors networks and my Roku TV. Been to the Apple Store twice and called Apple support and they are kinda clueless. They say it's the router yet no other devices in the house have an issue.

Mar 27, 2024 3:26 AM in response to 84B23F

In sequence:

iPad Awaken

NUC-Win11 Booted...made Coffee...No Network

Cycled off/on WiFi switch on NUC-Win11 - Private Network comes/goes at some repeating time interval, Win11 and iPad are "talking" to each other, but in Private Network speak

Airplane Mode - Turned Off

iPad & Win11 tried some 3 times in Private Network mode to connect.

Airplane Mode - Turned On (I'll have to double check this)

iPad & Win11 connect within 5 seconds in Public Network mode

=======================================

I found this method to be true so far in my setup (Cellular iPad as a router/hotspot):

Cycle Personal Hotspot (off/on)...works OK in about 5 seconds.

Mar 27, 2024 5:25 AM in response to 84B23F

Footnote - In previous post, I reversed Airplane mode on/off position...this is corrected below...too early in am when I typed that.

iPad Awaken (USB cable hooked to Intel NUC, btw)

Intel NUC booted up

Airplane Mode - Turned On

iPad & Win11 tried some 3 times and failed in Private Network mode to connect.

Airplane Mode - Turned Off

iPad & Win11 connect within 7 seconds in Public Network mode

Mar 28, 2024 5:43 PM in response to 84B23F

This feature is Good:

Setup: iPad sharing its Internet with Desktop computer via USB cable between them.

Powered down both.

Powered up desktop

inserted USB-C cable into iPad, other end plugged into desktop

iPad powers up, and connects to desktop with Internet access for desktop.

==============================

But this feature/SNAFU is not so good:

Once an USB/WiFi based session has been terminated by my desktop computer that was using the iPad's Hotspot feature, a person will have to manually reconnect via flipping a switch...Airplane switch (on/off) or Hotspot switch (off/on) for another connection.

Hotspot/Bluethooth Connection Issues for iPhone and Win11 both

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.