Revert Back to iTunes From Apple Music

Is it possible to revert back to iTunes from Apple Music?

There are too many missing features in Apple Music and the need for three apps to be able to manage and transfer music to your iPhone is just ridiculous.

You can't even reorder music in a PLAYLIST, and it's so stupidly simple to duplicate a track by dragging it just a little and letting go.

If I open the iTunes app now all it shows is:

Recent Updates

Podcasts

Stations

I never thought I'd say it, but I want iTunes back!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 6:18 AM

Hi everyone, The same steps worked for me as well:

1. Uninstall the suite of 3 tools: Device sync, Apple TV, and Apple Music.
  2. Restart computer and re-open iTunes to see your media there again.

However, it is true: Any music library adds or playlist creations do not auto-revert back into iTunes. So, any library work you did must be recreated.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2024 6:18 AM in response to Matt Gorner

Hi everyone, The same steps worked for me as well:

1. Uninstall the suite of 3 tools: Device sync, Apple TV, and Apple Music.
  2. Restart computer and re-open iTunes to see your media there again.

However, it is true: Any music library adds or playlist creations do not auto-revert back into iTunes. So, any library work you did must be recreated.

Mar 26, 2024 9:33 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks, I was hoping someone had done this before I attempted it. I can confirm that one you delete Apple Music, Apple Devices, Apple TV iTunes will then be usable again (I did uninstall iTunes also, so not sure if you could leave it installed and remove the other apps and have iTunes restore itself).

One thing to note, when you do this your playlists won't be restored, even if you point your iTunes library to your previous location (at least it didn't for me) and with no way to export playlists from Apple Music you will have to capture what you had if you want to keep them (I had to resort to making a screen recording of myself going through all the playlist - what a wonderful experience this whole thing has been).

Apr 2, 2024 4:29 AM in response to turingtest2

My story: I recently bought a new iPad and it came with Apple TV for 3 months. I installed it on my PC (bigger screen) only to find that that got rid of music on iTunes the first time I opened iTunes afterwards, as others have found! I would not have done this if I had realised.

However, I have been caught by iTunes freezing for a while, so thought I'd give Apple music a go again since it now seems to be being forced on us. It works more or less for me (although froze once!) however I found that when I tried to sync my iPod shuffle (yes some of us still use such things!) it was recognised by Apple Devices, but would not sync any songs onto it - I assume this is because they are not physically on the PC under Apple Music folder. (They are in the iTunes folder, but the two don't talk to each other it seems.)

Therefore I have reverted back to iTunes for the moment. For me the instructions above worked, although I also had to sign out of iTunes and back in again for it to load up my Apple music (i.e. to see music from cloud as well as files stored on my PC.)

I would be willing to move to Apple Music once the sync issues are solved.

Revert Back to iTunes From Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.