📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an iPhone backup to MAC also backup Photos if iCloud photos is active?

I would like the ability to backup my iPhone's photos to my MAC or external HD regardless of my iCloud Photos subscription. Does this happen when I choose Backup All Of Your Data On Your iPhone to this MAC?

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 1:59 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2024 2:54 PM in response to B3234

No.

See the following from About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

Backups from your computer

A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from your Mac or PC, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already synced and stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup.)

Does an iPhone backup to MAC also backup Photos if iCloud photos is active?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.