Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Issues with my Messages post iOS update

i updated to ios 17.4.1 and have had issues with my messages sending as a text message. i even had it say that “imessage needs to be enabled” when i’ve never disabled it. it doesn’t seem to be a carrier issues because i’ve seen people with the same problem that don’t have the same carrier as me. i have an iphone 14 pro max and it seems to be an issue with just these phones. help?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 9:40 PM

My iPhone 14pro has been a nightmare since the ios 17.4.1 update. The keyboard wasn’t working at all. Now it works after troubleshooting and reinstalling keyboards, resetting dictionary etc but it freezes constantly. Typing is very difficult. It freezes and then closes out so you lose whatever you were typing. I have to restart it multiple times a day. I have a ton of available memory and the phone is only a few months old. So regret doing this update. Any tips?

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 9:40 PM in response to _anon-user

My iPhone 14pro has been a nightmare since the ios 17.4.1 update. The keyboard wasn’t working at all. Now it works after troubleshooting and reinstalling keyboards, resetting dictionary etc but it freezes constantly. Typing is very difficult. It freezes and then closes out so you lose whatever you were typing. I have to restart it multiple times a day. I have a ton of available memory and the phone is only a few months old. So regret doing this update. Any tips?

Apr 3, 2024 5:47 AM in response to _anon-user

I just have the issue that they changed the + screen in messages to be all jumbled, a bunch of stuff I don’t want appears and can’t be removed, it’s harder to access and pops up in a whole new screen. My next phone will be a flip phone. I am so tired of these “updates” that update things I don’t approve of nor want. I haven’t changed my style of shoes in 10 years but every few months my entire phone changes the way it functions, looks and operates. The biggest issue with this update is the idiots who force their will upon us.

I wish I could help you with your issue but all I can say is get a different type of phone that doesn’t mess with your personal visual space every few months. 💜

Apr 10, 2024 9:20 AM in response to _anon-user

I have sort of had the same issue, I got an iPhone 15 Pro Max though. I updated my iOS to 17.4.1 last night and since then I can only send text messages to people I used to talk to via iMessage. I can, however, call them with FaceTime which is kind of odd. I've tried multiple troubleshooting methods but nothing works and it's getting annoying at this point.

Apr 10, 2024 10:57 AM in response to laine131

Has anyone found a solution? I called my phone company nothing’s wrong with my phone. I’ve been trying to text other people that have iMessage and it keeps saying that they all have android which isn’t true and then at one point it let me send an iMessage, but it wasn’t sending this last update is horrible my phone is always freezing I tried everything I reset the network I completely reset my phone. I’ve tried to login and out of my Apple ID. I tried to reset the iMessage and now this morning won’t activate and I can’t FaceTime or anything I feel like this update was so useless

Apr 4, 2024 2:17 AM in response to _anon-user

Did you check that your receiver has iMessage activated? If your receiver has not activated iMessage on their iPhone, your message won't reach that receiver.

Try signing out and again signing in with your Apple ID.

When you. Facing this issue, there is a possibility that the iMessage server is down. So, you can check the iMessage system status here: Apple - Support - System Status

The last option is to Reset All Settings. This can fix system-related glitches. After performing a reset, you need to sign in with your Apple ID again and set up your network settings.

Apr 15, 2024 7:24 PM in response to _anon-user

This has been a horrible update for iMessage.

1) contact photos for people I text most are gone. And if I reset them in contacts, it’s there for a couple texts thereafter and then sure enough they disappear again.

2) I have close friends who share their location with me. Previously, it showed their location underneath their name and contact photo. Ex: City, State. Again, this is now completely gone in iMessage. I know that it’s specific to iMessage because when I go into to the “find my” app, all their locations are available to view.

It’s been like this for weeks and I check for an update daily in hopes the next update corrects these issues. It’s quite bothersome in its current state.

Apr 23, 2024 12:12 AM in response to _anon-user

Glad to see I’m not the only one having issues with IOS 17.4.1

I had sent some photos and videos to a friend via iMessage and they claim that they miserably disappeared from their attachments section in our messages, then they appeared again a few days later. Also, I had sent a friend a couple of text messages that were sent but didn’t say “delivered” and their find my friends location wasn’t loading as if their phone was turned off but it wasn’t. They claimed they had their ringer on but no notification for the messages.

Issues with my Messages post iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.