External Display works but screen does not fit properly. Detect option does not appear

2017 MacBook Pro i7

16gb ram 500 storage

I use a j5 USB to HDMi adapter to connect my external display (Samsung 32in curved "Monitor"). Somehow, the screen will display but it will not fit properly. I quickly head over to Display preferences to adjust resolution but it seems it hasn't been detected (although the screen is displaying in front of me). Even though I hold down 'option' and click, no detecting happens. Keep in mind, it was working completely fine for years until I installed some new things I needed for my Apollo Twin X Interface.

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 9:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 27, 2024 8:10 AM in response to SolFeaR

When you choose to use a j5 Dock, you are using DisplayLink (or equivalent) "fake" display. This is a software/hardware simulation of a 'real' display. ANY problems that occur on that Fake display are j5 problem, and beyond the ability of MacOS to fix. Contact the developer.

If you were to connect that display DIRECTLY on a cable, or with a Simple adapter, Readers here would be happy to help you.

if you disagree, please post the EXACT adapter you are using and what cables you are using, including approximate length of cables, and what ports you are plugging into and the EXACT model of Samsung display.

External Display works but screen does not fit properly. Detect option does not appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.