How to fix the "Microsoft Word Can't be Opened" error on Mac

I have been using Microsoft word fine up until a few days ago and now I keep getting this message:

The application “Microsoft Word” can’t be opened.

I have tried updating the app itself and it says it's up to date and I even updated (OS 14.4.1) and restarted the laptop but nothing has changed and it still won't open. All other 'office' apps are working fine for some reason it's just word.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 6:55 AM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2024 4:12 PM in response to jenjen.1

jenjen.1 wrote:

I have been using Microsoft word fine up until a few days ago and now I keep getting this message:
The application “Microsoft Word” can’t be opened.
I have tried updating the app itself and it says it's up to date and I even updated (OS 14.4.1) and restarted the laptop but nothing has changed and it still won't open. All other 'office' apps are working fine for some reason it's just word.

I would delete and reinstall Word. Open the Finder, then choose Applications from the menu on the left. Click and drag it to the Trash. If you have it pinned to the Dock, hold the Control key and hover over Options > Remove From Dock, click it, then restart.

To reinstall - Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 or Mac - Microsoft Support

How to fix the "Microsoft Word Can't be Opened" error on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.