imac for study

Hi Everyone,

I am looking imac for my Phd studies mainly for data analysis in RStudio and for writing purposes. I am confuse in picking up the right model according to my requirements. What will be the best model according to my requirements?

\Would I go for imac with M1 or M3. Kindly advise me about this matter.

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 7:57 PM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2024 1:41 PM in response to SarahR0

If it were me, and I wanted a desktop iMac for the uses you've described, I'd want, as a minimum, the following:

• Minimum 16GB RAM (I'm unfamiliar with RStudio...maybe 24GB if it's an app that needs extensive computing power)
  • Minimum 512GB internal storage (more if you want to store a lot of photos and/or videos)
  • 4 ports on the back. (Less expensive model only has 2 ports)
  • As hcsitas has pointed out, Apple is only selling the M3 model now.
  • AppleCare+
  • USB A <--> USB C adaptors if you have older USB peripherals to connect

You should qualify for the Education discount, so I'd shop using the Education store.

Mar 28, 2024 2:06 PM in response to hcsitas

I checked the link hcsitas provided, and couldn't help but notice that no mention was made in their Mac requirements of the last two MacOS versions (Ventura and Sonoma). I'd want to verify with them that a new Mac with Sonoma will be fine with R-Studio.

I would modify my recommendation just a tad, and eliminate the need for 24GB RAM, but would still suggest 16GB. Although I respect that everyone has their own opinions, I still feel 16GB RAM should be the "base" model.

The ports? Well, only the OP would know how many devices will be connected, so I really can't say on that.

Internal storage? Again...that depends. If they're to be stored on an external drive, then a 1TB SSD probably isn't needed. (But I'd still suggest that 512GB SSD should be the "base" model.

If a Mac's RAM and/or internal SSD could be upgraded later, my recommendation might well change. But they can't, unfortunately.

LOL...so SarahRO...have we thoroughly confused you now?

imac for study

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.