Daily I receive the notification “I am being tracked by nearby AirTag”

My housemate has an AirTag that is kept in a drawer in our apartment. Daily of an evening I receive the notification “I am being tracked by nearby AirTag” and this produces a complete map of every movement I have made during the day.

this air tag has not left the drawer and is not synced to my find my app (in fact I deleted find my as a precaution)

how is it possible to be tracking me?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 1:41 AM

7 replies

Mar 29, 2024 8:23 AM in response to Eviljack8

Not sure how to best answer your question ... but let me try.

First we have to set some parameters for your example scenario:

• The stranger has an AirTag and let's say its attached to their car keys.
  • You have an iPhone that has an active connection to the Internet.
  • This stranger walks with or near you for several blocks.

In this case, at some point in time after the stranger gets within Bluetooth range (~30-40'), your iPhone will get a notice that an "AirTag is following you."

Now a variation to this would be, whether or not, that stranger also has their iPhone with them.

• If they did, and they looked at the Find My app on their phone, they would see that the tag was with them. The location would be where they are at ... which may correspond to where you are as well. However, the tag is NOT tracking you at this point.
  • If they did not have their phone with them, then the tag is transmitting its ID information to your phone (or any other iPhone nearby), and in turn, your phone will relay that ID (along with your phone's GPS location) encrypted to the Apple servers. Since they didn't have their phone, they would also not be tracking you at this point. Even if they were to go back and retrieve their phone, there would be no permanent location history or their tag. In addition their tag would start beeping to let them know that the tag is separated from their phone.

What Apple designed into the tags, to prevent tracking, is to alert iPhone or Android users that a unexpected AirTag (that they didn't own) is with or near them ... and traveling along with them.

Apr 5, 2024 5:44 AM in response to Tesserax

To clarify a few things:

1. the AirTag has not been on me all day - it has been in a drawer
  2. the notification shows the complete map of my days movements
  3. the play sound feature shows that the AirTag is the tag in question that has not left the drawer
  4. This AirTag continues to alert me daily that it is tracking me
  5. this notification presents on my phone with the find my app deleted (it does say it cannot open the information when the notification is tapped

what part of this is normal (I know how AirTags work - I can’t understand how this one is tracking me - is it simply being used to relay the information? Our phones being AirTags as well really)

Mar 28, 2024 2:40 PM in response to Eviljack8

The AirTag is not actually tracking you as it doesn't have any ability to do so.

Instead, it works with the Apple Find My Network, which consists of literally millions of iPhones, that relay the tag's ID, along with the phone's GPS location to the Apple servers. That is where the tag's owner would see the tag's location on the Find My app on their iPhone.

Any iPhone, or Android phone, within Bluetooth range of the tag, will get these notifications. It's how Apple designed the tags to work to thwart unwanted tracking. In this case, it's your housemate's tag ... so, when your iPhone is near their tag, it will provide location updates to their phone. The only way to prevent that is to remove the tag's battery.

Apr 10, 2024 5:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Look I understand it’s alerting me of its presence - what I am concerned about is the notification content. The map highlights my movements for the previous 24 hours - indicating this device has been on me for this time. Not a single point on a map but everywhere I have been for 24 hours.

I play a sound. It is safely in a drawer

so again - content of notification and this AirTags information is being presented as by racking me for more than a few moments at home

Daily I receive the notification “I am being tracked by nearby AirTag”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.