Mac Pro 2023 - Suitable PCIE SSD drives

Hi All.....I've just bought a Mac Pro 2023 from Apple runnin Vemtura 13.6.5 for Music Production which I do professionally. Originially I wanted to keep things simple by buying PCIE SSD's to just sot into the 5 available PCIE slots....however, I read somewhere that it's best to use as chassis such as the Sonettech 4 slot PCIE....loaded with 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD or similar......I've spoken to numerous sellers and everybody suggests different options...whoch doesn't help me as I'm not technical at all so I can't understand the jargon! I have read the Samsung PRO drives are meant for gaming so I would not necessarily need the fastest drives for music production ( I use quite heavy sample libraries though )...I'd certainly rather not spend money unnecessarily having shelled out for the Mac Pro! So.....can anyone recommend some solutions that would work in the mac Pro based on a single 4TB and 2 x 2TB SSD drives, either directly mounted in the PCIE slots, or via a chassis of some kind?

Many thanks

Pascal

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 6:49 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 31, 2024 7:29 PM in response to Pazmag

I just want to comment on using a PCIe card for SSD storage. There are a couple threads on the Apple forums reporting some issues with them. Here is one main thread:

PCIE M.2 drive not mounting after Sonoma … - Apple Community

You do want to have a good SSD since many SSDs these days are just low end budget models which can perform very slowly under some conditions (sometimes all the time depending on the model SSD). Unfortunately SSD reviews are now meaningless since the SSD manufacturers are now using multiple internal components which can greatly affect performance all without any change in model number...so you never know what SSD you will receive or how it may compare to the review.

Mac Pro 2023 - Suitable PCIE SSD drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.