Returned IPad forgot to erase it

Hello I recently returned my iPad for technical deficiencies without erasing it, however they will not issued me a refund unless I remove the device from my iCloud. I researched what would be the consequences of removing my iPad from my iCloud without erasing it, and it states it only removes the lock activation and keeps my data. What should I do in this situation?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 4:07 PM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2024 4:29 PM in response to Kazykaze

To remove the Activation Lock from your iPad, follow the section entitled "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad":

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

As for the security of your data, iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the data from being accessed by anyone other than the owner. 

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked.

If an incorrect Passcode is repeatedly entered, the Secure Enclave automatically wiped and the device disabled - an operation that erases all stored encryption keys. This is known as a crypto-erase. Once erased, all locally stored data is permanently beyond reach and cannot be recovered.

Mar 28, 2024 4:59 PM in response to Kazykaze

Be assured that nobody can access any data on your iPad - or your iCloud account from your iPad - unless they have knowledge of your device Passcode. All locally stored data is encrypted; without your Passcode, nobody can access the iPad, or any data on the iPad.

Only a very limited number of attempts to guess the Passcode are possible - before the iPad will be disabled and the encryption keys automatically wiped.

Be assured that unless you have told somebody the Passcode, you data and iCloud cannot be accessed. If you are concerned that somebody might be able to access your AppleID account and/or iCloud, change the AppleID Password:

Update your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Mar 28, 2024 4:52 PM in response to LotusPilot

Im concerned that if I remove the device from my iCloud without erasing the device and since it is already been returned and no longer in my possession someone else can now access all of my iCloud accounts signed in on the iPad. My question is should I remove the iPad from my device on iCloud or what else could I do in this situation? Please keep in mind the device has been returned and no longer in my possession, however I still have it listed on my iCloud as a device. Currently I can’t erase my iPad it has been saying offline pending erase for days now.

Returned IPad forgot to erase it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.