Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to access/employ Bash.

For some time, I have been unable to use a downloaded language-teaching app from a reputable textbook publisher. Download and install seemed fine, but on trying to open the app, I got a warning that I cannot get past that says (paraphrasing here) the software is dodgy and/or needs updating and to contact the maker. I tried reinstalling it a few times. Same goes for my MacBook Air and iMac.

The maker came back and said not to directly click the app icon, but to choose Open from the options/tasks(?) icon on the top right of my finder window. Tried that and got a new pop-up window saying Do I want to allow "bash" to access control of System Events. Could find no sign of bash in my iMac, so I declined. Later I learned that it is actually a part of the iMac system. Unfortunately, that option no longer appears however I try to open said application (MacMIllan).

I can survive by running the online version (I use it mostly on my MacBook Air in unis), but I am at the mercy of whatever WiFi service I am using. All my systems are up-to-date.

Any ideas, Gentlepeople?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 12:43 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 4, 2024 4:53 AM in response to Nicfarrow

The app is seemingly not notarized, which is the main issue.

TN3127: Inside Code Signing: Requirements | Apple Developer Documentation

TN3125: Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles | Apple Developer Documentation

etc

The second involves a wad of bash that wants to access a macOS component known as System Events, which can be for various legitimate or nefarious reasons. Usually, it’s a bash script calling osascript to script something in the GUI. This path — scripting the GUI — tends to be more fragile.

Using an ePub would seem easier, but here are. Probably don’t want to get the books into DRM’d ePub or interactive ePub format, for whatever reasons, and created this viewing app.

Historically, these bespoke content- and media-viewing apps tend to vaporize and the content then becomes less than accessible or inaccessible. Piles of picture-viewing apps using some weird format or another disappeared some years ago, for instance. Given this one seems somewhat under-maintained, I’d not be all that comfortable with its future.

Apr 4, 2024 5:38 AM in response to Nicfarrow

Nicfarrow wrote:

Full disclosure (means I failed to tell you that)... my 21" 2017 iMac does not update to Sonoma, so is still operating on Ventura 13.6.6. The MacBook Air (M1) is on Sonoma.

That's irrelevant. You would need to be running an OS version much, much older in order for this to app to work.

I have been chasing the publishers for about two years on this, and this year, they finally came up with the idea I first mentioned.

I'm surprised they did that much. This app was abandoned at least a decade ago, if not longer.

Pity I rejected Bash, but there it is. Might have worked.

Those are two different dialogs. You can always do as your screen shot advises. There is no guarantee that will help. That 2017 date on your screenshot is misleading. This app dates from 2007, if not before.

I should just get back to them yet again.

Don't waste your time there.

The best thing to do is delete that app and try to install it from the original CD. This time, allow access for any dialog that comes up. There may be several. Follow Apple's instructions here to bypass that malicious software check: Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Apple Support

You might have more luck if this content is offered as an iPhone or iPad app. I'm not saying that will work, I'm saying you'll have a 5.7% of success instead of a 3.2% chances of success, and 5.7 is more than 3.2.

Apr 3, 2024 6:19 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, Thanks for responding.

What I can send you may be useless as you can only access the download after signing in to a teacher's account with MacMillan. Anyway, just in case this helps, it will only give you a log in window:

https://www.macmillaneducationeverywhere.com/

However, I have a couple of screenshots that may help. The date on one shows that this has been going on a while. The first is typical of any time I try to open the app after moving it into my Applications folder. The second is after I followed the instruction from MacMillan to open it from the top right options list. Now, this second one, offering me the chance to use "bash," no longer appears, presumably because I rejected it the first time.

Apr 4, 2024 2:16 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Full disclosure (means I failed to tell you that)... my 21" 2017 iMac does not update to Sonoma, so is still operating on Ventura 13.6.6. The MacBook Air (M1) is on Sonoma. Both have the same response when I try to open the app, as did my previous MacBook Air - even before Ventura, I think. I have been chasing the publishers for about two years on this, and this year, they finally came up with the idea I first mentioned. Pity I rejected Bash, but there it is. Might have worked.

When I run the online version of the textbook, I see zero differences in content or function from when it started about three or four years back. It may be that they are just not bothering to update anything, in which case, I should just get back to them yet again. At the start of using their downloaded app, it could to open up just fine.

The fact is that lessons are working smoothly enough as is, but this downloaded version would give me some greater degree of reliability. So, if you cannot see a fix, life will go on.

Apr 25, 2024 4:31 AM in response to Nicfarrow

Hi People,

Many thanks for your efforts, everyone. I think it is time to call this a day, as I cannot follow most of what I see here. I am really only a user and much of this goes over my head. (That said, sometimes I have asked for help on Apple Communities and received a quick and easy answer in no time.)

Not sure how this app could be from 2007 since the textbook was first published in 2017, but I certainly understand that it is poorly maintained at best. Whoever is supposed to be doing this work for the publisher, ain't too bothered. And the publisher clearly is unable or unwilling to clear things up. Pity; the textbook content is the best I have ever used in classes.

Anyway, since my uni WiFi systems seem to be in good shape this year, I am doing well enough accessing all online. Fingers crossed.

How to access/employ Bash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.