Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Creating a non-mail mail merge document

TIA for your help. Every week, I need to post something on the Internet, but I need the same 12 information points posted in a different order. I was wondering if I could create a pages document using mail merge features (or do this another way) so that I had to enter the 12 information points only once, and they would automatically fill in each of the three other posting formats. Let me give a simple example:

Format One:

Title

Reference

Description

Date

podcast address

YouTube address

But I need to post those five information points in a different order elsewhere, like this:

Format Two:

Description

Title

Reference

Date

YouTube address

podcast address

I’d love to enter the title, date, etc. once and have it fill through the pages document, so that I can then copy and paste it online in its various places with its various orders.

Thank you!

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 6:14 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 12:44 PM in response to atobteam1

Note: I was able to do this in the following manner:

1. I created a pages file with all the text I would need in all the various orders. Here's an example:

“Title,” from text. 

Date

Summary:   summary

Video:  YouTube 

Apple Podcast:  apple

Spotify:  spotify

[In the Pages file, Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify I delineated as merge files (for each, highlighted the word, Insert/Mailmerge Field]

2. I created a Numbers file with two rows—a title row on top and one row below it—with seven columns, from left to right (how ever many information points you need. Across the top row in each cell was the name of the information that I would be changing each week; so, across the top row I put: Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify (identical to what I put in the pages file). I saved and named this Numbers file.

3. Going back to the Pages file, I clicked on each of my mailmerge fields (Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify) one at a time, and, each time one was highlighted, I clicked “Document” in the upper right of the Pages File, Document below that (not “Section” nor “Bookmarks”), and then selected the “Mail Merge” button at the bottom. Next, I clicked the button, “Add Merge Field,” at the bottom right. With the pop-up menu that appears, I chose “Add from spreadsheet” at the top of the pop-up. So:

[Document/Document/Add Merge Field/Add from Spreadsheet]

Then I navigated to choose the Numbers file I had created and titled. Next I clicked “Add as Fields,” not worrying about anything else among the choices.

4. Now, you’re all set up. It means you’ll have two files you work with: the Numbers file and the Pages file.

a. You’ll input your information points (in my case, the actual title, text, date, YouTube address, etc.) each week/time into your Numbers file in row two (not touching the titles of each category along row one).

b. Once you’ve completed row two (your new information for that week or day), you can save and close the Numbers file.

c. Next, you’ll open your Pages file, altering it not at all (you’re not putting new data in Pages; you only put new data in your Numbers file), select Document in the upper right, select Document below that (not “Section” nor “Bookmarks”), select the “Mail Merge” button at the bottom, then select the button near the top on the right, “Merge…”, and finally select the “Merge” button that appears on the independent pop-up menu. This creates a new file with all your new information points rightly inserted. I use this new file till I don’t need it, and then trash it, never saving these new, mailmerged files. The base file that I created in step one is saved and remains. It is that step 1 file I open each week. It never gets altered.

Hope this helps!

Apr 24, 2024 1:17 PM in response to atobteam1

Note: I was able to do this in the following manner:

I created a pages file with all the text I would need in all the various orders. Here's an example:

“Title,” from text. 

Date

Summary:   summary

Video:  YouTube 

Apple Podcast:  apple

Spotify:  spotify

[In the Pages file, Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify I delineated as merge files (for each, highlight the word, then from the Insert top menu, select Mailmerge Field. So: [Insert/Mailmerge Field]

2. I created a Numbers file with two rows—a title row on top and one row below it—with seven columns, from left to right (how ever many information points you need. Across the top row in each cell was the name of the information that I would be changing each week; so, across the top row I put: Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify (identical to what I put in the pages file). I saved and named this Numbers file.

3. Going back to the Pages file, I clicked on each of my mailmerge fields (Title, text, Date, summary, YouTube, apple, spotify) one at a time, and, each time one was highlighted, I clicked “Document” in the upper right of the Pages File, Document below that (not “Section” nor “Bookmarks”), and then selected the “Mail Merge” button at the bottom. Next, I clicked the button, “Add Merge Field,” at the bottom right. With the pop-up menu that appears, I chose “Add from spreadsheet” at the top of the pop-up. So:

[Document/Document/Add Merge Field/Add from Spreadsheet]

Then I navigated to choose the Numbers file I had created and titled. Next I clicked “Add as Fields,” not worrying about anything else among the choices.

4. Now, tap each merge field in your Pages document, then Document/Document/Mail Merge/Add Merge Field] and select for each merge field (for me: Title or text or Date) from the pop up the field from the Numbers file you want to have our Pages merge field pull from. Do this for each merge field down your Pages document. Then click on far right, upper, “Done."

5. Now, you’re all set up. It means you’ll have two files you work with: the Numbers file and the Pages file.

a. You’ll input your information points (in my case, the actual title, text, date, YouTube address, etc.) each week/time into your Numbers file in row two (not touching the titles of each category along row one).

b. Once you’ve completed row two (your new information for that week or day), you can save and close the Numbers file.

c. Next, you’ll open your Pages file, altering it not at all (you’re not putting new data in Pages; you only put new data in your Numbers file), select Document in the upper right, select Document below that (not “Section” nor “Bookmarks”), select the “Mail Merge” button at the bottom, then select the button near the top on the right, “Merge…”, and finally select the “Merge” button that appears on the independent pop-up menu. So:

[Document/Document/Mail Merge/Merge…/Merge]

This creates a new, untitled file with all your new information points from your Numbers file rightly inserted into your new Pages file. I use this new file till I don’t need it, and then trash it, never saving these new, mailmerged files. The base file that I created in step one is saved and remains. It is that step 1 file I open each week. It never gets altered.

Hope this helps!

Creating a non-mail mail merge document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.