Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I let my users install apps?

We are using apple business manager in our organization.

We want to let our user install the free apps they want, for instance HP Smart for Desktop.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 4:13 PM

You may not have to purchasing token connected from ABM to Intune. This is different than the connection you set up for Automated Device Enrollment.

It is correct that Managed Apple IDs (MAIDs) cannot purchase or acquire apps (even free ones).

Depending on your settings, App Store apps may still be installed by your users if they are using a personal Apple ID.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2024 4:13 PM in response to ChristineVacher

You may not have to purchasing token connected from ABM to Intune. This is different than the connection you set up for Automated Device Enrollment.

It is correct that Managed Apple IDs (MAIDs) cannot purchase or acquire apps (even free ones).

Depending on your settings, App Store apps may still be installed by your users if they are using a personal Apple ID.

Apr 15, 2024 2:56 PM in response to celliott147

Hello @celliott147,

We are using Microsoft InTune as our MDM platform.

Managed IDs

I am told that Managed Apple IDs cannot purchase apps on App Store (*).

Say some user wants to install "HP Smart for Desktop".

I purchased this free app with Apple Business Manager.

It does not seem to "push" it to InTune.

Am I missing something?

personal iCloud accounts (alternative)

If I get you right, users can download apps to their Macs using personal Apple accounts, instead of Managed Apple IDs.

Will these users (logged on their Macs with their Managed Apple IDs) be then allowed to install the apps?

Will these apps be automatically updated?

(*) Service access with Managed Apple IDs - Apple Support (CA)/Content availability            Users can browse, but not purchase, paid or free apps and content in the following online stores and ebook store app: App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Books     

How can I let my users install apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.