Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMac 2017 running slow

I have 2017 iMac running Ventura 13.6.6 and it is getting slow. I know it's a bit old but does anyone have any tips that might clean it/speed it up please.

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 3:35 PM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2024 5:28 PM in response to Rylan77

NEVER EVER install the following types of third party apps unless you want a slow, unstable, and troublesome Mac:

·      Antivirus Apps

·      Cleaning Apps

·      Security Apps

·      VPN Apps

·      Maintenance Apps

These types of apps do absolutely nothing that Mac OS cannot already do. All Mac OS needs in order to remain secure, stable and fast is simply to keep it up-to-date and to restart the computer about 1x per week.

Apr 3, 2024 5:48 PM in response to John Simpson2

That is fine, however you may have a problem you are not aware of. I would strongly recommend the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community It is helpful to us if you download the report to your Desktop.

iMac 2017 running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.