Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Accessing an Apple Time Capsule away from home -- is it possible?

I'd like to try accessing my old Apple Time Capsule from outside of my home network. I think it's a 4th or 5th gen (one of the later flat looking ones).

If it's not possible with just the time capsule itself, is it possible with the time capsule connected directly to a linux server? I recently setup an old gaming laptop as a debian server that I use primarily as a minecraft server, but it's able to easily spare more cpu power and internet bandwidth if it's somehow possible to use it to connect to the network drive as me.

AirPort

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 5:44 PM

1 reply

Apr 3, 2024 6:09 PM in response to TyTheAppleUser

Is the Time Capsule set up as your "main" DHCP and NAT router?

If yes, does the Time Capsule receive a fixed Public IP Address from your ISP?

If not, it will need one

If the Time Capsule meets all of the requirements above, we can tell you in detail how to set up the Time Capsule for remote access, assuming your ISP will allow this type of connection.

If not, what device is currently acting as your "main" DHCP and NAT router?

Does this device receive a fixed Public IP Address from your ISP?

If not, it will need one

Does this device have Port Forwarding capabilities?

If the Time Capsule is not your "main" router, we can provide some general guidelines on how to set up the Time Capsule for remote access, but not exact instructions. So, if the Time Capsule is not currently your "main" router, you might want to wait for other users to post who can provide more details on this type of setup.

Accessing an Apple Time Capsule away from home -- is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.