Black Vertical Line Macbook-Pro Screen

2010 MacBook Pro, 17".

Mac OS X 10.13.6, aka High Sierra.

Also partitions running Snow Leopard, Lion, and another install of High Sierra. This condition is in all OSes.

There is a black vertical line about 1.25 inches wide running bottom to top. It is only black at start up and while the computer is cold to medium warm. As the unit warms the line begins to change to various colors depending on the background. As the Mac continues to warm up to medium hot (maybe about 170° f and hotter) the Black will change to become nearly invisible where the desktop or other window content is quite legible. But there is still some small amount of distorted pixels.

I have searched for answers but it seems every description of similar problems are the opposite in temperature I.E. the black line comes when the computer is hot and disappears when cold.

I suppose it is a hardware issue but which part? People I've talked to about it seem to think I should either turn off the graphics switching, which makes no difference, or reinstall the OS, which will be useless as I have three other partitions with other OSes.

Thanks for any real help you might give.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 2:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2024 8:02 PM in response to Beta2

Beta2 wrote:

2010 MacBook Pro, 17".
Mac OS X 10.13.6, aka High Sierra.
Also partitions running Snow Leopard, Lion, and another install of High Sierra. This condition is in all OSes.
There is a black vertical line about 1.25 inches wide running bottom to top. It is only black at start up and while the computer is cold to medium warm. As the unit warms the line begins to change to various colors depending on the background. As the Mac continues to warm up to medium hot (maybe about 170° f and hotter) the Black will change to become nearly invisible where the desktop or other window content is quite legible. But there is still some small amount of distorted pixels.

I have searched for answers but it seems every description of similar problems are the opposite in temperature I.E. the black line comes when the computer is hot and disappears when cold.

I suppose it is a hardware issue but which part? People I've talked to about it seem to think I should either turn off the graphics switching, which makes no difference, or reinstall the OS, which will be useless as I have three other partitions with other OSes.

Thanks for any real help you might give.

Does it show in a screen shot? Screen shots come directly from the GPU.

If it is a Display assembly, you can plug in an external monitor and bypass your issue.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Apr 6, 2024 6:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the suggested diagnostic tests. I had not thought of the screenshot being useful in this case. The flaw does not show in a screenshot.

As to the external monitor, I have thought of that but have no access to one.

The nearest Apple Store with their supposed genii, that would be out of the question for the distance is very great, more that a day's drive from here. But thank you for the information nonetheless.

So if an external monitor, if one were connected, shows no line then it would seem the fault is somewhere in the display area? Like the display, the cable or connection to the mother board? Is there anything else related that could be suspect?

Thanks a lot.

Apr 6, 2024 6:56 PM in response to Beta2

Beta2 wrote:

Thank you for the suggested diagnostic tests. I had not thought of the screenshot being useful in this case. The flaw does not show in a screenshot.

As to the external monitor, I have thought of that but have no access to one.

The nearest Apple Store with their supposed genii, that would be out of the question for the distance is very great, more that a day's drive from here. But thank you for the information nonetheless.

So if an external monitor, if one were connected, shows no line then it would seem the fault is somewhere in the display area? Like the display, the cable or connection to the mother board? Is there anything else related that could be suspect?

Thanks a lot.

If you are not seeing it in the screenshot, it point back to the: Display, Display Assembly, Display cable or cable connection.

Black Vertical Line Macbook-Pro Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.