Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What happened to Wonderbox?

The only reason I got AppleArcade was to play Wonderbox by Aquiris and it is now gone!!!! Does anyone know why?

iPad mini 3, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 2:13 PM

As I understand it: the game was created as an Apple Arcade exclusive that recently reached its end/renewal. Since the company was purchased by Epic, I’m guessing one, or both, weren’t interested in renewing (Apple and Epic have drama).

Really disappointed. We subscribed Apple Arcade for this game specifically and hoped it would go to the regular App Store if it ever left Arcade.

Won’t let my kids get into other Arcade games right now. Not going through this again (Our special needs son was crushed to lose everything he worked on.) It could happen to other digital games on other platforms, but Arcade seems especially susceptible to this and Apple doesn’t seem to care.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2024 2:13 PM in response to WhAt_tHe2024

As I understand it: the game was created as an Apple Arcade exclusive that recently reached its end/renewal. Since the company was purchased by Epic, I’m guessing one, or both, weren’t interested in renewing (Apple and Epic have drama).

Really disappointed. We subscribed Apple Arcade for this game specifically and hoped it would go to the regular App Store if it ever left Arcade.

Won’t let my kids get into other Arcade games right now. Not going through this again (Our special needs son was crushed to lose everything he worked on.) It could happen to other digital games on other platforms, but Arcade seems especially susceptible to this and Apple doesn’t seem to care.

Apr 11, 2024 2:51 PM in response to jlmpka

jlmpka wrote:

It could happen to other digital games on other platforms, but Arcade seems especially susceptible to this and Apple doesn’t seem to care.

The developer has many options to monetize their game:

• Purchase price
  • In-App Purchase
  • Subscription
  • Ads
  • Apple Arcade

The game developer will ways compare the income with the cost to develop and maintain support for the game. At any time they can choose a different model or even decide to no longer offer the game. Since Apple does not own the games, we are left with whatever the developer chooses. Not sure why you are putting the blame on Apple.

Apr 12, 2024 12:26 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

I didn’t put blame on anyone, I said Arcade seems susceptible to this kind of thing, I would add especially for Exclusives developed for Arcade.

When I say Apple doesn’t seem to care, I’m simply saying it doesn’t bother them. They’re fine with their model as it is, obviously.

The issue could be the issues between Apple and Epic, Epic not caring much about the company/games they acquired or maybe they just don’t want to put the resources into reworking it for monetization, who knows, could be a million things. I didn’t think there was a need to go on further about Epic on an Apple forum.

What happened to Wonderbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.