Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

cannot get itunes to work with my iphone

I have iphone 7 and itunes 12.10.11.2 Had to buy new laptop (Windows 11) previous Windows 10 and had no problems loading music . But now I cannot get it to work . Newer version of itunes would not work either. Have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. Restored backup on phone and even though I have tried syncing seems to only show all files that were previously on phone. will not update sync.

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 1:26 PM

15 replies

Apr 14, 2024 8:48 AM in response to stardust403

With the help of Apple Engineering contact, it was found iTunes is broken and needed completely removed and reinstalled again. This time all music to sync from iTunes to iPhone was removed and then it recognized the request to sync from iTunes desktop to iPhone 12 pro.

Now there are 9 grey'd out songs that cannot be removed from iPhone 12 Pro and iTunes software manager states it will not be fixed as iTunes is going away for Window 10/11.

Apr 14, 2024 3:28 PM in response to stardust403

After days of uninstalling ,deleting ,restarting and redownloading took another stab at it. Discovered I was downloading a different version than was on my old laptop. Today downloaded 12131.3.20100. I don't know if it is the newest version but today it worked . Will see if it still does tomorrow as I did get itunes to work 1 day on previous attempts but the next day would not work again.

Apr 15, 2024 12:24 AM in response to stardust403

stardust403 wrote:

AToday downloaded 12131.3.20100. I don't know if it is the newest version but today it worked .

iTunes 12.13.1.3 is the latest version on the day of writing this (15th April 2024).

Rather foolishly, I took it for granted that you were already on that version since you not only stated that you had the latest version (something I usually ask to clarify), but one of the steps in the error -54 tip is update to the latest version.

Apr 15, 2024 8:18 AM in response to the fiend

Original post I did say I had tried the the newer version . I actually had tried it twice since I spent about 2 hrs a day for 3 separate days uninstalling , deleting and reinstalling . The newest version was the very first attempt when I set up Windows 11 and my phone would not even register which was when I then tried an older version. At some point I read a list somewhere in my googling for an answer and it didn't even list Iphone7 as being supported in the newest version. It just should NOT be this hard . Install Itunes ,hook up Iphone and bing, bang boom should be right there !

Apr 18, 2024 11:46 AM in response to stardust403

Just as I thought . Not working properly. When I opened itunes today it showed that my phone was connected. Had to eject . Then it required connecting and unconnecting 3 times to get it to even register on itunes. Then it does not sync the phone and cannot drag new audio selections to folder on iphone. Have to right click then select add to device.

Apr 18, 2024 4:35 PM in response to stardust403

FYI a test:

If it connects it should also charge, this proves the USB A software is working.

Suggestions:

Should be able to find iTunes in an Apple folder on pc that contains a Uninstall. Complete it.

Remove the Apple Music from iPhone. Verify the Songs are gone in Settings-About look for Songs

Power cycle both pc and iPhone

Load Apple Music to iPhone and verify Songs again it should be zero

In Apple Music will be songs from iCloud as long as you have a network connection (WiFi or 4G)

Install iTunes

Connect iPhone and select iPhone in upper left corner

Place mouse over Audio in orange at bottom of screen notice GB's and Songs

Select Music under Summary

Select Sync Music

Select Selected playlist, artist, albums and genres

Deselect everything in Playlist, Artist, Genres and Albums

Select Sync

If it populates Music let it run till complete

Hit Apply

Select Entire music library

Sync

I hope this fixes your issue as it fixed mine.

cannot get itunes to work with my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.