My screen got stuck after updating to ios 17.4.1

I updated my iphone 14 pro max on 7th April to ios 17.4.1 on 8th April i updated my snapchat and other application now my screen won’t respond when i touch it even face id doesn’t work.. i tried to mannual restart it but still my screen won’t respond. What should i do?

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 12:52 PM

I had this same problem after updating and how I FIXED it.

You will need another device like your laptop or ipad to connect to. Plug your phone into the other device and attempt the hard reset. Quickly press and release the up volume then down volume, then press and hold the side button for 10-20sec. Repeat this hard reset up to 15-20 times (it’s a pain but keep doing the reset!!)* Until you get the screen to show a plug in icon. From here attempt to update the device using your computer.

One of two things will happen next either you will get a successful update and your phone working again or you’ll get the error (1110) 06A3.0456

If you get the error message unplug your device from the computer, wait a few seconds and re-plug in, now repeat the hard reset 15-20 times again until you get the plug in icon on your phone. This time you will not get an option to update but will be forced to restore your device. Restore your device from your latest back up and you should finally have a working phone again!

I hope this helps someone else

*seriously keep doing the hard reset a million times till you get the plug icon

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2024 12:52 PM in response to Fides888

I had this same problem after updating and how I FIXED it.

You will need another device like your laptop or ipad to connect to. Plug your phone into the other device and attempt the hard reset. Quickly press and release the up volume then down volume, then press and hold the side button for 10-20sec. Repeat this hard reset up to 15-20 times (it’s a pain but keep doing the reset!!)* Until you get the screen to show a plug in icon. From here attempt to update the device using your computer.

One of two things will happen next either you will get a successful update and your phone working again or you’ll get the error (1110) 06A3.0456

If you get the error message unplug your device from the computer, wait a few seconds and re-plug in, now repeat the hard reset 15-20 times again until you get the plug in icon on your phone. This time you will not get an option to update but will be forced to restore your device. Restore your device from your latest back up and you should finally have a working phone again!

I hope this helps someone else

*seriously keep doing the hard reset a million times till you get the plug icon

May 14, 2024 1:20 AM in response to Fides888

Yes, agreed, Apple needs to fix this problem. I just installed 17.4.1 yesterday via wifi and, already, today my touch screen was non responsive. When I accessed a computer to seek possible fixes, I came across this advice not to download and install ios 17.4.1 via wifi. Too late for me.

This problem seems widespread among iphone users. Apple needs to fix the problem completely AND warn iphone users of software glitches. Better yet, Apple should withdraw the ios 17.4.1 upgrade and issue an upgrade that is problem free. Finally, Apple needs to respond to user experiences and complaints and stop telling users with frozen touch screens that the problem is their iphone. For me, the local Apple store is a pretty far drive and it takes considerable time from my day to travel there. Plus, it takes days to get an appointment. Users should not be forced to visit Apple repair to fix a problem caused by Apple updates.

I am finding Apple much less responsive than it was years ago. And, the iphone is far from trouble-free. Plus, the time period by which Apple decides a phone model is obsolete is too short. These iphones cost enough that they should have lifetime support. Forcing users to replace their phone within a few years encourages many users to take on debt to pay for a newer model phone. I'm living on a fixed and limited income and cannot afford to take on debt for a new phone every few years - the choice will be between an new phone and life essentials life food and utilities. I'm strongly leaning toward an Android next time.

Apr 8, 2024 9:18 PM in response to Fides888

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Apr 17, 2024 9:52 AM in response to Fides888

I went to the local Apple Genius Bar with my Boot Looping Ipad Pro since I updated to ios update 17.4.1. The lady linked mine to a Mac laptop and installed the ios update 17.4.1 version ending 237. After it installed she suggested I should create a new Apple ID which I did complete. Next she ran a complete diagnostic test of my Ipad hardware which passed with no problems highlighted. I came home and completed setting up the Ipad. It all seemed ok until back came the random switching off followed by a reboot again and again and again. This time I didnot download any previous backups stored on Icloud. This is making me consider changing to a Samsung Tablet.

May 25, 2024 4:40 AM in response to TWar1734

What is version are you on. My iPhone 12 Pro started to do the same thing as yours. So I then I erased and then restored it as a New Device with the latest iOS using iTunes.(Not signing into Apple ID or restoring from a back during setup process). Then signed into my Apple ID after the freezing stopped. Worked for a while with no issues. But today I set it down for a while. When I picked it back up it just showed a black screen and saying to restore it. But it won’t restore now even with my MacBook. It’ll like 90% done then just show the restore iPhone screen again

My screen got stuck after updating to ios 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.