Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iphoto 6.9.1 does not import .MOV files

On a MAC with OS 10.13.6, iphotos 6.9.1 has stopped importing .MOV files. It still plays them

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 12:21 PM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2024 2:52 PM in response to Gerald3

v9.6.1 was the final version of iPhoto.

I would strongly suspect that the story here is more simple: you have a video clip shot on an OS 8 years newer than the app you're trying to manage it with. Eventually, any app that's not in development gets left behind.

With video, these file extensions do not mean the contents are the same. MOV is a container, and with video the important thing is not the file extension, but rather the codec used to package the video stream. In other words, not all MOV files are the same.

You could try open the clip with Quicktime and then save it. That can work with Jpegs. I make no promises. I would suggest that now is a good time to research and decide what app you'll use next for managing your photos and video. You're going to be migrating sooner rather than later.

Apr 13, 2024 8:48 AM in response to Gerald3

Are you asking about iPhoto 9.6.1? iPhoto 6.x.x would not be able to run on OS 10.13.6. Or are you asking about Photos 6. not iPhoto?

What is the source of your videos? Are you trying to import videos from an iPhone or older videos from some external drive? Are you getting an error message, when you try to import? If yes, what is the message?

Apr 13, 2024 11:36 PM in response to Gerald3

I am using iPhotos

Not to be pedantic (he said, about to be pedantic) but there is no such app as "iPhotos". There was iPhoto (no 's') and there is Photos (no 'I'), they both had/have a v6 and a v9. As they are quite different apps the reasons for your problem and the possible solutions may. well be quite different. As you mention 'Events' I suspect you're using iPhoto v9.6.1, released 9 years ago. Can you confirm?

What has changed? Has the video from the OS 17 device ever been accepted by iPhoto?

Apr 14, 2024 11:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yes you are correct, its iPhoto, no s. Yes I am using it, ver 9.6.1 (910.42) There appears to be an update but the download from the App Store has an error and cannot be opened.

The .file is /Users/jm/Downloads/IMG_4358 2.MOV The error message is "The following file could not be imported. It is in an unrecognized format."

A few .MOV files from an iPhone 8, which is now 16.7.7, were imported in the past. MOV files from iPhone 11, 17.4, never seem to get imported. Is there a controlling file that could have been corrupted?

iphoto 6.9.1 does not import .MOV files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.