Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't use laptop keyboard for input when connected to Apple Vision Pro

I often use the AVP while connected to my laptop (when not viewing media like movies). I frequently use the trackpad instead for hand gestures for some navigation. However, when I attempt to use the laptop keyboard to type, the AVP keyboard pops up (which is nearly useless). If I dismiss the AVP keyboard, the AVP doesn't take input from the laptop keyboard. To clarify, the laptop keyboard works fine when typing on the connected Mac virtual display, just not while using other AVP apps.

Does anyone know a "trick" how to avoid the pop-up keyboard and force the AVP to use the laptop keyboard?

Apple Vision Pro

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 7:22 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 16, 2024 7:07 PM in response to David Strait

It seems like the Apple Vision Pro (AVP) may automatically trigger the on-screen keyboard when it detects input instead of allowing input from the connected laptop keyboard. Here are a few suggestions you can try to resolve this issue potentially:

1. Disable the on-screen keyboard:

- Go to the AVP settings or preferences menu and see if there is an option to turn off the on-screen keyboard.

- Alternatively, you may be able to disable the on-screen keyboard from the accessibility settings on the AVP.

2. Use an external keyboard:

- If turning off the on-screen keyboard doesn't work, consider using an external keyboard connected to your laptop for typing input when using the AVP.

3. Update the AVP software:

- Check for any software updates for the AVP and make sure you are running the latest version. Updates may include bug fixes or improvements that could potentially address this issue.

4. Contact Apple Support:

- If the issue persists, reach out to Apple Support for further assistance or troubleshooting tips specific to the AVP.

By trying these suggestions, you may be able to avoid the on-screen keyboard popping up and force the AVP to recognize and use input from your laptop keyboard.

Apr 17, 2024 4:51 AM in response to OmriBoiman

Thanks for your detailed reply. The problem seems to have improved... at least for the past few days. The on-screen keyboard pops up (as it should), but now allows me to type with my laptop keyboard after I dismiss the virtual keyboard. This is how it should work. Previously this was not the case... the only option was the on-screen (virtual) keyboard.

I have no explanation for this glitch, or why it improved. I think the latest OS update occurred prior to the problem, but I may be mistaken. No one else has responded saying they had this issue, so maybe it was just a short-term issue with my AVP (?)

Can't use laptop keyboard for input when connected to Apple Vision Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.