Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to optimize sound quality on Apple 4K Box with Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar?

just Received new apple 4K box to look at replacing sky

i have latest Sennheiser ambeo plus soundbar which always used Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos format, I’ve removed my echo cube using same HDMI lead that the cube also automatically changed format to best audio format

ive been reading online that most audio format is pushed to PCM 2 channel and not multi channel

Ive gone into audio settings and immersive setting is not showing

anyone aware if this is software issue or any ideas how to resolve

ive reset box hoping it might be a glitch and resetting might resolve without success

shame, as I’d heard good thing’s about 4K box, but must admit, somewhat disappointed so far as much as picture quality, audio quality and availability to get best sound is just if not more important

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 11:27 AM

5 replies

Apr 10, 2024 4:16 PM in response to PaulMarkC

ive been reading online that most audio format is pushed to PCM 2 channel and not multi channel

I’m sure there are users with that issue, but that is not the norm.

Ive gone into audio settings and immersive setting is not showing

Apple TV detects what is supported in your HDMI chain. The immersive audio option is available when the equipment and settings support Dolby Atmos. It requires also setting Auto format (= PCM Multichannel).

Apparently immersive audio is somehow not available right now in the setup.

To examine your options for a solution, please describe how your equipment is connected, what to what.

I suppose that you use audio passthrough via a TV. What model TV? Does that TV have eARC? Do not set audio output on Apple TV directly to the soundbar (that would give stereo), but instead to the TV for passthrough to the soundbar.

shame, as I’d heard good thing’s about 4K box, but must admit, somewhat disappointed so far as much as picture quality, audio quality and availability to get best sound is just if not more important

What about the picture quality?

Lots of users get Dolby Atmos just fine, which is the best possible sound format through Apple TV.

Apr 16, 2024 11:47 AM in response to PaulMarkC

… where Dolby Atmos and immersive sound is there one minute, then drops on next use.

I can’t offer a reason or situation why that might happen suddenly. Unless someone else chimes in with a new idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Apr 14, 2024 11:04 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi thanks for your reply, both my soundbar and Apple TV have there own HDMi inputs to the Panasonic oled TV, on TV menu, they both show Dolby Atmos in tv sound menu and Dolby vision in picture menu

I did a full reset over weekend and Apple TV box showed Dolby Atmos and when accessing music on Apple Music, Dolby Atmos symbol came up on tv when recognised format it should be playing as well as Sennheiser ambeo plus soundbar

later in the evening, switched over to sky puck to watch a movie, following morning, switched on Apple TV box to find Dolby Atmos not showing again on settings in video and audio section.

again I checked TV inputs on TV just in case it was TV, I also changed hdmi inputs on TV where I knew Dolby Atmos was working perfectly on sky puck without affect

only option I’m left with is to change audio on video and audio section in settings on Apple TV, to generate multi channel, otherwise I’m left with pcm two channel speakers, instead of 12 channels as it should be

so apart from going back to amazon cube and chucking Apple TV through window lol, I’m not sure what other options I’m left with, surely for a plug and play stream box from apple, there is either a software issue where Dolby Atmos and immersive sound is there one minute, then drops on next use.😣

Apr 20, 2024 3:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi thanks for your reply, I contacted Apple support who advised to connect ATV4K directly to Sennheiser ambeo plus bar, as much as modern TVs do provide Dolby Vision and Atmos, they don’t necessarily support it though tv speakers

Dolby Atmos now showing as it should

all we want now is Apple to look at developing hi-res lossless audio and we’re sorted lol

How to optimize sound quality on Apple 4K Box with Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.