Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple ID verification pop up but the email stated is not mine?

I cant find the email address in any of my settings. Have I been hacked?? I have only ever had my own email linked with my icloud, no one elses.

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 8:25 AM

Same thing happened with me too and an ex boyfriend’s email. I am kind of nervous to even write on here because he does try and get ahold of me to this day. Could it possibly do something to do with the update?

Similar questions

19 replies

Apr 10, 2024 8:04 PM in response to mackenziefromscotland

Same thing just happened to my wife and I tonight about an hour apart, except the email addresses we’re from friends.

To our knowledge neither person had ever logged into any of our Apple devices and she hasn’t spoken to her friend in years.

we both pressed ‘not now’ and went to look what email addresses were registered to our Apple ID and only ours came up.

thought maybe our IP address/router was hacked because such a weird coincidence it happened to us both.

photo below (covering email because it is a friends).

Apr 10, 2024 3:19 PM in response to Limnos

It was a pop up that you usually get from the settings app, not an email. Where you can either select “not now” or “settings”.

I clicked on settings but it just took me to iCloud, not wherever the email is coming from.

The message was:

Apple ID Verification

Enter the password for "**@icloud.com" in Settings.

^^ not an email of mine nor is it listed anywhere as a hidden email address! Can’t find it listed anywhere in my settings. Just weird!

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 10, 2024 8:37 PM in response to jk391

I doubt it is any malfeasance. There's various places where you can have a different ID on your phone and it could be in one of those if it isn't a relic app from another user.

There are several likely places where you can use a different Apple ID:

1. In Mail if you want to use a different, or more than one, iCloud account. Settings -> mail -> accounts -> add account -> iCloud

2. Messages and Facetime. Sign into a different Apple ID for these services in Settings. Note this has to be the same ID for both. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, and make sure both your telephone number and Apple ID are input there and both show a checkmark. If you need more help, check this link: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support .

3. In the support article: If you subscribe to Apple One and use a different Apple ID for iCloud - Apple Support Apple alludes to using a different Apple ID just for media, subscriptions, and purchases, but doesn't describe how to do this. See if these work:

In iOS/iPadOS: Go to Settings > [your Apple ID] > Media & Purchases. Sign out of the current ID and sign in with a different one.

In Ventura or later: First, quit Settings. Then, in App Store, choose “Sign Out” in the Store menu, then click on the “sign in” button that appears in the main window. You can then sign into the other account. (from: Using different Apple ID for media & … - Apple Community )

4. Use a different Apple ID to share purchases with Family Sharing as outlined in Use a different Apple ID to share purchases with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Apple ID verification pop up but the email stated is not mine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.