Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to play historic videos from 2013-2017 on Apple Iphone 15 Pro

When I upgraded my Iphone from a 12 Pro to a 15 Pro, why can’t I play back videos from 2013-2017? Error message reads “Unable to load video. An error occurred while loading a higher quality version of this video.”

I would really like to be able to still watch these. Thanks.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 2:48 PM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2024 5:15 AM in response to NF_888

I had to convert many of my older videos to a different format after Apple removed the old frameworks for the older video formats from the newer systems.

I converted all videos to use either HEVC or H.264 . To identify the videos that needed converting I created a new Photos Library on my Mac with macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer and tried to import all my videos into this test library, in small groups, not too many at once. Every video that gave an error message on import needed converting. I used Handbrake or Compressor to do the conversion.

This support document for iMovie has been useful for me to find problematic media that need converting: About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2024 2:59 PM in response to NF_888

How much free storage is on your iPhone? Sometimes a lack of storage is preventing the download of the high resolution originals.

If you have been using iCloud Photos before moving to a new iPhone model, have you enabled iCloud Photos again? Are the older videos still in iCloud? Or did you delete the old videos from the old iPhone and from iCloud?

What is the format of the old videos? IOS 17 does no longer support some very old video codecs, that have been supported on older system versions. If you also have computer, try to c9nvert the problematic videos to the same format as your videos that still can play.

Unable to play historic videos from 2013-2017 on Apple Iphone 15 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.